Thoughts on upcoming season

haymaker

I am sitting here in a blizzard and we have not had a killing freeze yet. This has been a very strange and tough year for South Dakota people in agriculture. Starting late in January we have had the toughest winter since 1997. It did not quit when it should have so everything was a month late. We lost a month and have had a hard time catching up. Then we have had rain quite often so getting things done when they needed to be done was difficult to impossible. Now soybeans have a lot of snow in them which will have reduced the yield significantly assuming they can be harvested at all. Getting corn to dry will take many sunny days, plan on standing corn for quite awhile. There is much stress in the ag world between prices and work stress it is not good now. So when you come hunting and start asking for permission to hunt, understand that there might be some grouchy landowners. Also please be careful with the roads especially the dirt section lines. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am sitting here in a blizzard and we have not had a killing freeze yet. This has been a very strange and tough year for South Dakota people in agriculture. Starting late in January we have had the toughest winter since 1997. It did not quit when it should have so everything was a month late. We lost a month and have had a hard time catching up. Then we have had rain quite often so getting things done when they needed to be done was difficult to impossible. Now soybeans have a lot of snow in them which will have reduced the yield significantly assuming they can be harvested at all. Getting corn to dry will take many sunny days, plan on standing corn for quite awhile. There is much stress in the ag world between prices and work stress it is not good now. So when you come hunting and start asking for permission to hunt, understand that there might be some grouchy landowners. Also please be careful with the roads especially the dirt section lines. Thank you.

I'm sorry the farmers are having such a tough year. I've been coming to SD hunting for 3 days for hunting the last 25 years and have meet some very nice people. I wish you guys the best.

So it is ok to be "grouchy" at a hunter who asks permission to hunt, because you are having a bad year. Ok, (I get it) take it out on the hunter. That is so not ok. Why can't the landowner say no w/out being angry.. Just like it is not ok for a hunter to be angry when he is turned away. Let's all be civil, it's the right thing to do.

JUST A SUGGESTION—

Based on the long term and current supper wet conditions..and years of experience—-

I would strongly suggest any one heading out pack/bring a set of MUCKS-or some type of good quality rubber boots suitable for walking —

So it is ok to be "grouchy" at a hunter who asks permission to hunt, because you are having a bad year. Ok, (I get it) take it out on the hunter. That is so not ok. Why can't the landowner say no w/out being angry.. Just like it is not ok for a hunter to be angry when he is turned away. Let's all be civil, it's the right thing to do.[/QUOTE
I didn't say it is ok, I said it might be the case. There are people that are in ag today that won't be next year. Either because they are tired of the battle or won't be able to get the financing. Either could make them a little irritable. Sorry that you found this an excuse to be offended.

use common sense; express concern for the situation...ask a few open ended questions..."sorry about the way things are playing out this year...how are you folks doing?"

"sorry to bother you...wish there was someway we could help...how are things looking? any chance you'll get your crops out?" whatever seems appropriate...people know if you are sincere...

maybe this season we should all offer some cash, no matter the situation.....these guys would surely appreciate it and when things get back to normal, you may get a welcome to hunt next year.
it's the right thing to do this year.

So it is ok to be "grouchy" at a hunter who asks permission to hunt, because you are having a bad year. Ok, (I get it) take it out on the hunter. That is so not ok. Why can't the landowner say no w/out being angry.. Just like it is not ok for a hunter to be angry when he is turned away. Let's all be civil, it's the right thing to do.

Never completely okay to be "grouchy." However, common sense needs to be used by the hunter as well. Don't make them stop the combine, ever. Don't make them climb down out of the combine or tractor. Don't park waiting for them to get to the end of the row to stop and talk to you. Don't park in a field drive, you may be blocking their semi or grain cart that is minutes away from entering. Don't park on the gravel road and block the next combine from being able to get down the road. When working around the clock, being delayed by weather, rarely seeing your family or having a free minute to even go to the bathroom, the last thing you want is a hunter to slow you down in some way. They may not intentionally be "grouchy" but you may be unknowingly doing something that irritates them in just the right way.

Never completely okay to be "grouchy." However, common sense needs to be used by the hunter as well. Don't make them stop the combine, ever. Don't make them climb down out of the combine or tractor. Don't park waiting for them to get to the end of the row to stop and talk to you. Don't park in a field drive, you may be blocking their semi or grain cart that is minutes away from entering. Don't park on the gravel road and block the next combine from being able to get down the road. When working around the clock, being delayed by weather, rarely seeing your family or having a free minute to even go to the bathroom, the last thing you want is a hunter to slow you down in some way. They may not intentionally be "grouchy" but you may be unknowingly doing something that irritates them in just the right way.

Exactly. Thank you.

the thing that really concerns me about this season is I do not see road kill pheasants. I go to a lot of meetings around the state and I just don't see them.

Back