This Corona Thing

We freelanced in KS that spring and more interestingly much of the private land we had permission to hunt on was enrolled in the walk in program. We did have an advantage in that we could access some of those properties from a different angle. Some plenty of turkeys that year, along with deer, pheasant, and quail.

Are you talking about just WIHA or Turkey WIHA?

Some states have closed public land to all hunters. Quite a few states have shutdown NR turkey hunting or placed quarantine rules in-place that effectively stop NRs from entering. MN and WI have embraced their turkey seasons as a way to get outside and so far are not restricting NRs ... that said travel is not simple right now and both states urge hunters to remain closer to home.

Canada has shut their border to sportsman. Only snow goose hunters are impacted right now. Be interesting to see if Canada restricts visitors in May, June and July. Resorts up there may not make it.
As of now you can only get into Canada with an Alaskan driver's license and proof of Alaskan residency, preferably a deed to an Alaskan home. If you do get in there is a roadblock entering the Yukon where you are given 24 hours to check in at Beaver Creek. I heard that they extended those requirements for another month. Also they won't allow any cruise ship docking until at least July 1. Some local tourist/charter/guide outfits have already wrote off this year and are rescheduling clients for next year. Others are hoping things will ease towards fall. Some cruise lines have canceled for the whole season already.

In route from turkey unit 1 to unit 2 I stopped at a locker I like in a little town in NW KS. I was dressed in camo. While waiting to get my order tallied, a young guy came out from the back and sat down. "Any luck?" he asked me. "Yeah," I replied. Then he said "I went out and looked at your license plate." I thought he was expressing curiosity about what county I'm from, so I told him the state had stopped putting county designators on veteran plates. Then he said the reason he looked is that he wanted to see if I was from out of state. If so, he went on to say, then I would be facing quarantine, fines, and jail. He said some Colorado hunters came to town and got quarantined and sent back. He seemed quite proud of this and somewhat disappointed that he could not give me the same treatment.

It sounds like OP is a Kansas resident, maybe even a local, but lets just pretend he was indeed a non-resident. Let's say he's from a rural state, say South Dakota. Maybe he works at a meat packing plant.

Now, OP goes turkey hunting all by himself in the woods. Awesome. No contact, outside, no problems. But OP gets hungry. Heads to the locker to grab some meat snacks. Small store, standing around other people, talking up cute workers.

OP gets back home to find out COVID is running through his workplace. But OP feels fine. But we also know that a large percentage of folks do feel fine even while infected.

Back at the meat locker, that cute worker starts feeling a little tight chested...so her grandma, who lives with her, makes them a cup of tea.

*end hypothetical*

This is how stuff spreads. This is how healthy people who mean well spread sickness to those at risk. Hunting by yourself or with your direct family unit is fine. The stops at the cafe/gas station/donut shop/meat locker is why responsible hunters and anglers fear our seasons getting shut down.

Maybe I'm just a little sensitive as I work in healthcare, caring for those with ZERO immune system. All these protests, though small and attended by only the most dense, make me ashamed of my fellow Americans.

It sounds like OP is a Kansas resident, maybe even a local, but lets just pretend he was indeed a non-resident. Let's say he's from a rural state, say South Dakota. Maybe he works at a meat packing plant.

Now, OP goes turkey hunting all by himself in the woods. Awesome. No contact, outside, no problems. But OP gets hungry. Heads to the locker to grab some meat snacks. Small store, standing around other people, talking up cute workers.

OP gets back home to find out COVID is running through his workplace. But OP feels fine. But we also know that a large percentage of folks do feel fine even while infected.

Back at the meat locker, that cute worker starts feeling a little tight chested...so her grandma, who lives with her, makes them a cup of tea.

*end hypothetical*

This is how stuff spreads. This is how healthy people who mean well spread sickness to those at risk. Hunting by yourself or with your direct family unit is fine. The stops at the cafe/gas station/donut shop/meat locker is why responsible hunters and anglers fear our seasons getting shut down.

Maybe I'm just a little sensitive as I work in healthcare, caring for those with ZERO immune system. All these protests, though small and attended by only the most dense, make me ashamed of my fellow Americans.

I am thinking that maybe the OP was not aware of the regulation of NR with Covid 19.

Sometimes I go to my local convenience store just to watch folks on how they handle this. So many out of state vehicles with same pattern...walk to door wiping nose/coughing into hand etc....grab door handle (90 % ) of the time top right of handle. goes to deli grabs something ...changes mind puts back , grabs another pays cashier, leaves and begins eating no hand washing. Next person same and repeat over and over....locals come and do same..... Women, say their husbands complain of men who were in bathroom same time as their husbands that didn't wash hands after bathroom use and went out to handle coffee pots ,etc......I see how it spreads so easily.

Men are notoriously bad hand washers. I have very few OC traits, but one is I never - ever touch a bathroom door handle with my hands. I also prefer not to touch toilet or faucet handles, but since I do wash hands ... less of an issue ... Hate public restrooms that have gone hot air hand driers only. Need that paper towel to get out of there.

Poor hygiene (washing) and choosing to make contact with others (work, school, store) when sick are the primary reasons that the common cold, flu, norovirus (or any other hitchhiking virus or bacteria) survive and multiply. College professors are notoriously inconsiderate of ill students (I suppose they feel taken advantage of or inconvenienced).

It would be nice if improved hygiene, wearing masks (when ill or lower immune), and just staying home when ill becomes the new norm, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Yes I do the same thing with paper towels. I use them to get out and flush etc. Would be nice if all convenience stores would have the auto sliding doors on entry to cut that

contact down.

A lot of improvements could be made to dispensing machines also ,so less contact with hands/cups etc..... Maybe all of this will turn out better for us in the future regarding

transmission of common ailments if improvements are made..sure hope so.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or what? Are you being serious that you would turn someone in for hunting in another state?

Buddy if someone comes here to hunt turkeys and they are on the travel list and do not self quarantine for the required 14 days, yes I would turn them in for breaking hunting regulations and for possibly spreading sickness to others. That is the law if you want to hunt here.

Good for you. Turkey hunters are a big spreader of That CV-19, it’s devastating small towns with high turkey populations!!

You should let your game warden know, that hunters are thinking about coming in, maybe even call Biden, or Schiff... no place for this outrageous monstrosity!!

Good for you. Turkey hunters are a big spreader of That CV-19, it’s devastating small towns with high turkey populations!!

You should let your game warden know, that hunters are thinking about coming in, maybe even call Biden, or Schiff... no place for this outrageous monstrosity!!

Hunting illegally is poaching, I don't stand for it.

This is a civil and well-mannered sportsmen's forum.

It will remain such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its important that people behave in a safe manner. I also think its important that elected officials not abuse the power of their office. I think most anyone could practice safe turkey hunting, no matter where you are from. In wisconsin, the governor closed the state forest south of me. I guess he thought you couldn’t safely take a walk and stay 6 feet apart in thousands and thousands of acres. Be smart. Don't be irresponsible. But don't give up your rights. Or let bureaucrats take them.

I think its important that people behave in a safe manner. I also think its important that elected officials not abuse the power of their office. I think most anyone could practice safe turkey hunting, no matter where you are from. In wisconsin, the governor closed the state forest south of me. I guess he thought you couldn’t safely take a walk and stay 6 feet apart in thousands and thousands of acres. Be smart. Don't be irresponsible. But don't give up your rights. Or let bureaucrats take them.

I agree but the problem is the travel in from hot spots. That is what they shut down. Someone comes in from a hot spot then goes to get gas, goes in to eat, goes to the hotel, etc.

They might stop in and get in a donut at Casey’s and spread the virus. It’s how it’s spreading nationally... spring turkey hunters, according to CNN. Bird watchers are also spreading the disease in small towns and counties.

government creates the virus then gains more control and power. Can anyone say population control. Come to Michigan and see a real shat show with our gov or the rest that want our guns. Kansas looks better all the time

Back