Thirty Days Hunting in South Dakota....well 29

dukxdog

Rush, my Chocolate Lab, was 10 weeks old when he first traveled to South Dakota. Six years later I had to put him down due to sudden health issues. He did make the opening day of duck season this year retrieving a few mallards on my pond before going to the clinic the following Wednesday.

When I realized Rush wasn't going to make pheasant season, I started searching for a new Lab on the internet. I found Marsh who was 11 months old in Kansas. I got him home and we made a few duck hunts before heading east.

It's really fun watching a new dog figure out pheasants. I saw Marsh learn and progress into a pheasant finder. First he bounded aimlessly through cover, then bumping up some birds but not realizing these were what we were after. When I shot the first few roosters he made nice retrieves since he's a good marker.

I saw Marsh starting to use his nose catching scent, then using that to root out some birds. A couple weeks in, he was taking the search to the next level by aggressively finding our colorful prey. He was doing his part. I was doing mine shooting which resulted in birds on the ground then retrieved to be put in my bag.

We were in South Dakota all of November. I bought three 10 day licenses. I hunted every day but one when I was sick. I did my best to give this young dog lots of bird contact. Marsh made this a special rooster season. This pup has lots of stamina with a big heart. I got really lucky to find Marsh. It was painful losing Rush, but Marsh has filled the spot as my hunting buddy.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss on Rush! It is fun to watch young dogs figure out the quarry we pursue. Mine are still learning how to handle Mr Rooster. Congrats on your new pup as well!

Thanks for sharing your success with us , that’s the way to make a bird dog . I like the classic SxS is it a Fox ?

29 days, that’s living the dream, what was your impression of bird numbers? Marsh looks like he’s been doing it his whole life from the pics. Good looking dog and gun.

Awesome. Glad you had another great season. We are both in the same boat. Maddie gets better every spot we hit. I can see her growth daily. Wish I could get her in as many days as Marsh.

Bobby - was good to spend some time with you again this year. Was neat to hear the reports and see the pics as Marsh put the pieces together. Was sad to hear that Rush wasn't gonna make the trip. The memories will always be there!

29 days. Damn I'm jealous.

Looks like you and marsh got a whole lot of bird hunting adventures ahead of you! Grats on your new partner. Have you considered putting a life long hunting journal together with marsh? Now's the time to start...might be fun to reflect back on the adventures and pictures when marsh retires.

I may be about 35 years away from retiring from work, but that would be a retirement dream come true to be able to take my dog out on a month long rooster road trip. No plans each day other than drive and hunt. Only times you need to worry about is 10am and sunset. Crappy motels or little rental or camping each night. Who knows what the world, retirement, my body, or my dogs (scary to think I will have a handful of them come and go between now and then), pheasant hunting, or South Dakota landscape will look like 35 years from now, but hopefully it can still include something like this where I can say to the wife in October, "I'll see you at Thanksgiving."

Dukxdog does it one better - he has a house. He usually invites others to join him during a week or two during November for a daily room & board fee.

Dukxdog does it one better - he has a house. He usually invites others to join him during a week or two during November for a daily room & board fee.

That'd be even better. But you know, at $50-100 a night, that's only $1,500-$3,000 for 30 nights stay at a motel. Small expense in relation to all the costs of home ownership. Who knows what retirement will look like, but I'm dreaming this afternoon now!

That'd be even better. But you know, at $50-100 a night, that's only $1,500-$3,000 for 30 nights stay at a motel. Small expense in relation to all the costs of home ownership. Who knows what retirement will look like, but I'm dreaming this afternoon now!

For this very reason is why I purchased a cargo trailer. I didn't get it completed for this season but I'll have it next year. Fully insulated, a/c and heat, generator powered, and also ability to heat up food , coffee etc along with a warm bed regardless of where I am, in whatever state I am upland or biggame hunting. Also have enough room to drive my atv into it. i love the idea of being mobile and able to "move" as needed. This also provides a place for the dogs to be instead of the back of my truck when it is super cold. It should pay for itself in what I would save in room rentals every year.

Smaller, older house in a small town (under 1K people) is often very low cost in the Dakotas. Might be cheaper than some new campers.

Rush, my Chocolate Lab, was 10 weeks old when he first traveled to South Dakota. Six years later I had to put him down due to sudden health issues. He did make the opening day of duck season this year retrieving a few mallards on my pond before going to the clinic the following Wednesday.

When I realized Rush wasn't going to make pheasant season, I started searching for a new Lab on the internet. I found Marsh who was 11 months old in Kansas. I got him home and we made a few duck hunts before heading east.

It's really fun watching a new dog figure out pheasants. I saw Marsh learn and progress into a pheasant finder. First he bounded aimlessly through cover, then bumping up some birds but not realizing these were what we were after. When I shot the first few roosters he made nice retrieves since he's a good marker.

I saw Marsh starting to use his nose catching scent, then using that to root out some birds. A couple weeks in, he was taking the search to the next level by aggressively finding our colorful prey. He was doing his part. I was doing mine shooting which resulted in birds on the ground then retrieved to be put in my bag.

We were in South Dakota all of November. I bought three 10 day licenses. I hunted every day but one when I was sick. I did my best to give this young dog lots of bird contact. Marsh made this a special rooster season. This pup has lots of stamina with a big heart. I got really lucky to find Marsh. It was painful losing Rush, but Marsh has filled the spot as my hunting buddy.

I have 38 days in this year.Birds are scarce in some areas, have gotten some great hunts in others. I wish I could post some photos, but I can't figure out how.

Dukxdog -- Good looking dog, and lotsa mature roosters! Surprised to see you wearing no blaze orange in your pics ??

Thanks for the comp on my pup.

Wearing orange isn't a law in SD. I think birds see orange and bright colors. I don't hunt with large groups. Even while hunting with a friend or two we usually split up in different directions. I've never hunted with Dick Cheney :) I do always wear eye protection. This is just how I choose to dress. Wearing orange wouldn't make me feel any safer.

Back