Thinking of an early season mt grouse hunt @ Bozeman

Pat Comyn DVM

My son and I are contemplating a September hunt in SW MT for a few days. I would like to go after Ruffs and Blues. I will bring a setter. I understand that Ruffs sort of like the aspen groves that are found in creek bottoms, blues like it higher. I must profess ignorance and find difficulty in finding clues looking at google earth for cuts. I hunt Ruffs in WV, Va and Wi. It looks like the clues employed there won't work in Mt. Does any one have any advice to this adventure?

Blues love to go to the top of ridges, look for ridges that are open (so you can shoot), it is a bonus if a road gets you near the top. Selective logging can also be good. You can find blues down lower but that is harder to predict, the old males are always at the top in my experience.

Ruffs in the west can be found in a lot of places, but riparian/creeks are my go to place, with or without aspen. Old clear cut edges with stream can be good also. The issue in my area and Bozeman is good ruff habit is good bear (including grizzly) habitat. Always take bear spray and know how to use it.

If you end up closer to Missoula, PM, I would be glad to give you so pointers or go out for a day.

Good luck and have fun.

grouse- Hi pat, lived in Bozeman 35 years. However only sporadic grouse chaser. there is TONS of public land with blues and ruff habitat around Bozeman.... I would help you any way I can , we can talk live, and will share what little, I know... do you have a Montana GAZATEER( sp?)

give me a PM, and I will give you contact info.

Back