Thinking at changing breeds

My setter is out of Prairie Drifters Kennel and a very good dog in the field and home. I do shave both my Brittany and Setter before heading west. The Brittanys coat is already pretty short just trim up ears and feathering. The setter has very feather ears, first trip to nebraska with her, I didn't shave her, her ears got so matted from a plant/weed i had never seen before, I could grip her ears and they stayed formed and stuck straight out of her head like hairsprayed pigtails. That took some time to clean up, since then I trim her ears, tail and legs up tight, her coat is fairly flat. I think i'm slowly wearing my wife down, keep showing her puppy pictures.

Most of my buddies hunt over shorthairs. They all give me grief about my long haired dog, Ox the Setter. He gets some stickers and some cockleburrs but most of the time he has them all pulled out himself by the time we get home. The only real issue i have had with him and the long hair is 2 seasons ago he got a cocklebur in tight right in his armpit. It took two of us to hold him and get it removed. Ox is a very very gentle dog, he was not a gentleman during that situation. However that is 1x in 8 years of hunting.

I will say that generally my buddies GSP's are better pheasant dogs and Ox is a better quail dog. I will say for sure Ox is a much, much better house dog than any shorthair I have been around. I m not saying all shorthairs are bad house dogs and all setters are good in the house. That is just the experience I have had.

I have run Britts all my life. I dont think there is a better dog for Kansas and solo hunting. Trained well they stay close and hold point. They also adapt to what birds are doing, if they sense the birds running they move slower along the scent trail. Just a very hard dog to beat all around. I have hunted behind many other breeds over the past four decades and it will always amaze me how other dogs hunt.

Thanks for all the replies. About the time I've convinced myself to try something other than a shorthair, I talk myself out of it! But, getting old and would like to try other breeds before it's all said and done. If I change it'll be between a Brit and a Setter, don't think you can go wrong with either. Got a few different leads and will be checking them out (Prairie Drifter is one of them). It's crazy cause I'm not a guy that usually changes anything, so changing breeds will be a big step for me. On a side not, hope you guys are surviving this virus, things starting to get back to normal around here. Youth baseball is in full swing around these parts and that makes things seem a little more normal. What a crazy few months we've had!

You'd have to change your handle on here.....I think that pretty well tells you the answer to your question....

;)

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well. I've been pheasant hunting 25 years now and have always ran Shorthairs. I've been tinkering around with the idea of trying something different and have been looking at Brittany's and English Setters. Am I crazy??? Give me your thoughts please. Still not sold on the idea as I've always loved GSPs. But, the older I get the more I've been thinking about it.

I've also always had kennel dogs, but now I'm at the point in my life where we can have one indoors. It's exciting being able to have them indoors with us now. I have a while to think about it, not planning on getting a pup until next Spring. Thanks, Bryan

Move from the darkside -- go see Troys setters. :)

Had American and French Brit’s. They have both been good, but I would say I prefer the French Britts. Hunted with numerous guys with other dogs and they are amazed with their drive. 199EC5CF-8437-4A9E-AED6-139B48E6BAA6.jpeg

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well. I've been pheasant hunting 25 years now and have always ran Shorthairs. I've been tinkering around with the idea of trying something different and have been looking at Brittany's and English Setters. Am I crazy??? Give me your thoughts please. Still not sold on the idea as I've always loved GSPs. But, the older I get the more I've been thinking about it.

I've also always had kennel dogs, but now I'm at the point in my life where we can have one indoors. It's exciting being able to have them indoors with us now. I have a while to think about it, not planning on getting a pup until next Spring. Thanks, Bryan
I've been hunting / living with Brittany's for almost 20 yrs . Although as you know they are "energetic" they make great house dogs assuming they are properly worked. Hard to beat in the field too.

I went from having pretty large breeds of dogs (lab, golden, GWP), to getting my first American Brittany around 9 years ago. She's on the small side for ABs, and slim too, not the piggy-looking ones you see sometimes. I was so impressed with everything you get from a small package, I decided to add a French Brittany a couple years ago. The FB is even smaller, and still has all the skills.

It has been wonderful running the two brits, and I have never felt like I needed a bigger dog. They can both kennel together in one kennel and it only takes up half of the cargo area of my 4runner, and I don't even have to fold the seat down. They are great in the house, sometimes I forget they're even inside.

Anyway, if a smaller size dog would be a benefit to your lifestyle, I would recommend taking a look at French or American Brittanies. Have fun shopping.
Couldn't agree more !

Life is too short to have ugly dogs.... hunt the setters and deal with the long hair..

I’ve never owned a gsp, but there are some really great ones! I’ve owned pointers, setters, and Brittanys. I’m sticking with the setters and britts!

Life is too short to have ugly dogs.... hunt the setters

What kind of good looking dog do you use to hunt those ugly things? I’ve wanted to shoot most of the ones I’ve been around, but I’m worried my lab won’t fetch them.

If you're open to any pointing breed I would recommend you get an English Pointer or Setter. Hands down the bloodlines within the breed can serve the most particular of owner. Quite frankly the other pointing breeds can offer some good dog prospects, but not near the natural bird finding ability. Just my opinion based on many many many years chasing wild birds across the midwest.

Exciting time for you. I hunt with a variety of friends and different breeds. Nothing is better than good dog work. Maybe a Vizsla is too close to being a short hair pointer but I have loved the instinct my 3 year old has. Points, retrieves, swims and is a great house dog. Each skill required little training and very few sessions. They are extremely smart. Natural instinct was crazy through the roof. They do shed despite the advertising you get that they don't shed. Nothing compared to a lab or longer haired breed though. I can't wait to see how my 10 week old puppy progresses from a totally different breeder/bloodline. October can't come soon enough.

Back