The "WHOA" post method

FieldKing

After a request I decided to explain one of the the methods I use for "WHOA" Here goes: Drive/concrete a post in the ground leaving about 2' or so sticking up, it must be firm, you can use a 1" round steel rod or piece of rebar etc. Drill hole in top or weld a link for a checkcord snap to connect to. Attach one end of a 20' to 30' checkcord to your dogs collar and the other end to the post, attach a second cord/leash about 4' long to your dogs collar, this 2nd cord you will have in your hand, starting close to the post with short cord in hand walk your dog swiftly away from the post until the long checkcord slams him to a stop, WHEN that happens you say "WHOA" holding your empty hand up with palm out! Hold for 10 seconds or so and quickly walk him back past the post and continue until it slams him to another stop and "WHOA" with hand out again! Alternate different directions around and past the post each time, do this about 10-15 times a day for 2 weeks, later you want to transition to a bench and then the ground and then on planted pigeons or quail. I used the word "slam" as an emphasis, it really is not as rough as it sounds, just firm enough to enforce WHOA! I will add more later!

Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to hearing more on the whoa. If you have any tips about steadying a dog up on a running bird I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

fieldking,
That works prettu good but it pays to have more than one whoa post otherwise the dog gets use to an area knowing what is going to happen. I use to use this method all of the time, now I use a different method.

So do you use this method just to introduce the command or is it something you do on a regular basis with your dog?

hook

Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to hearing more on the whoa. If you have any tips about steadying a dog up on a running bird I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

that takes lots of trips to the field and lots of birds after about 500 to a thousand pheasants it finally hits home me and my buddy are halves on an elhew pointer when she has running phez she circles wide hooks in front and is locked on baby! i told my buddy she finally made it! when you have a dog that does that then you have a bird dog

Whoa or no...

I believe the dog gets confused between the two commands as they sound similar. Sometimes I have the dog sit so I can catch up or I have him come back, or call him off...being too aggressive and starting to chase a runner. A perfect "quartering" dog that never gets out too far? VEry rare!

sit ?

no way the dog has to have many trips a field to figure pheasants out dude south dakota is where she learned hundreds of birds well what she does is circle wide and the dog has to be quick to cut them off she know they are running and bang pins them if you have the dog sit that bird is way to far ahead hes gone ya you are right its rare thats why i say you have a bird dog then but what you think a bird dog is and what i think is could be totally different and thats ok ive hunted with lots of dogs and say to myself wow im glad i got what i got

So you drop the short cord as soon as you say "whoa" (or right before it) and show your dog your empty hand?

I disagree with the Whoa Post. It is to harsh a method for some dogs. There are other ways to teach whoa. If you look the the index here you will see the other ways given..............Bob

About 20 threads down the board from this thread. "Simple Method to teach whoa" by ACF

I disagree with the Whoa Post. It is to harsh a method for some dogs. There are other ways to teach whoa. If you look the the index here you will see the other ways given..............Bob

whichever way works best for you bobeyerite, everyone is different, whoa post used correctly it is rare a dog would be harmed, it is no harder than the simple tug whoa when walking a dog, harsh to me is a dog not heeding to the "whoa" command when heading for danger like a busy road! I imagine some handlers could use this method very harshly, but I think many different training methods can be used wrong/harshly!

Back