The new numbers

Remtech

The new released birds numbers for each area should be out sometime in September. That means we are getting close ladies and gentlemen.

Remtech

I can't wait!.......I'll be hunting a new pup this year that is showing a lot of promise. I checked the Wis. DNR website the other day to see if the release numbers were out. I'm guessing it will be similar to last year. I got the South Dakota 2015 Hunting Atlas I ordered in the mail two days ago.

Dogs are ran daily and they've had some practice retrieving pigeons this summer.

I've been shooting clays and pigeons weekly.

We're all ready to go.

I have also been working the dog with chucker and quail. I will also be getting some pheasants in September for a final warm up.

Remtech

I threw a couple quail out tonight for my pup. He held both birds until I released to retrieve! Last time out he was breaking at wing to retrieve. I'll work on getting a pic up I took. Dog slammed the bird nice!

I can believe that. I have seen good numbers of birds all summer while working. Seems to be many more holdover/wild birds than I remember seeing in the past. Here's to hoping this is a trend.

Wild Birds

I guess I will have to get back to trying to locate wild birds. When I moved here I tried that for a while with little success. Came to rely on DNR chickens. I live in SE Wisconsin, and usually hunt a few mornings a week. Tough to drive too far and make it home by late morning.

I guess I will have to get back to trying to locate wild birds. When I moved here I tried that for a while with little success. Came to rely on DNR chickens. I live in SE Wisconsin, and usually hunt a few mornings a week. Tough to drive too far and make it home by late morning.

I'm 100 miles north but I would say with 100% certainty that they aren't just around here. Today I say a rooster and 2 hens picking gravel roadside about 11am. I see birds consistently along this one road and actually stopped the work truck (I drive for FedEx) and talked to the farmer today and got permission to hunt his land. He didn't realize he had pheasants at all until I showed him a pic of 2 roosters I snapped in his front lawn yesterday. Very cool!

I'm always a little weary when someone says "I've never seen birds around here" especially when you've been seeing them. That makes me think there's quite a few birds around.

I'm always a little weary when someone says "I've never seen birds around here" especially when you've been seeing them. That makes me think there's quite a few birds around.

Maybe so, ordinarily but I tend to believe this guy. Just going by his reaction, I don't think he realized they were around. He clearly had no interest in hunting them and didn't care that I do so either.

Back