The Boar's Nest--week 9

I don't know if you will run off, but I would imagine the 1/2 mile long 100 yard wide cattail patch might have a bird or two in it. Especially if it hasn't been hunted in a couple weeks. Two years ago they looked like cockroaches running out of there. I had never seen anything like it. It will be fun watching your boys see something like that. That always makes me smile.

It is difficult to imagine a cattail patch that big:eek: Do they still use the cattails when its 47 degrees? If so, it sounds like we should have enough guys to flank/block it well.

And yes, my boys' faces will be a sight to see. They saw about 10 birds in a short tree in W KS this season and absolutely freaked out. They were both certain they'd never seen so many birds in one place...they should be in for a real treat when we get to SD and hit the back roads:cheers:

The way sd goes a 7 day forecast is a joke at best. I remember once we were going to Aberdeen in dec, looked at 7 day and it was saying 32 degrees. Not bad right? 7 days later we woke up to -18 with a wind chill of - 45. Shot a couple that day but it was brutal. I think they will still be in there. Seems once they rely dig in to the heavy cover they are there for the duration. Your boys are in for a treat for sure. Good on you to make this happen for them. I know my sons look forward to it every year.

Tom, The long range SD forecast is a bit of a sham - same goes for MN. Seem they can't get it right 24 hours out, let alone 8-9 day's.

I wouldn't omit warm gear when packing...I'lll be surprised if the weather holds through the weekend.

Yep, Tom, I've noticed the same thing in KS. Once they start roosting in the heavy stuff, they continue until spring.

johnnyb, thanks for the tip. I suppose we'll throw in a couple of short sleeve shirts.

Honestly, I'm glad they're not projecting -10 or -20. That'd probably be a bit much for us this time around.

If we can get 50% of the predicted temperatures I would consider it a major success. The weatherman has to be right one time this year, right? In MT they can't get the next half day predicted let alone 10 days out.

Since it appears I won't be able to meet up with you guys for a day of hunting it there any chance we could get together for an evening meal one night while you are at the Boar's Nest?

Or is anyone sticking around for a day of hunting on some public land after the Boar's Nest?

Please let me know as I would enjoy meeting all of you.

Dang I just saw this thread. I would have loved to join you all. Best of luck to you all. Take pics and post them up.:)

How was the Boar's Nest Hunt - hopefully productive and fun.?

6 birds bagged the first day between 5 guys with 5 dogs. 1 bird lost to a badger hole.

1 pen-reared bird bagged the 2nd day. It had apparently escaped a nearby game preserve.

We woke up at 5am Sunday morning and drove back to KS.

Several factors worked against us, sort of a perfect storm if you will, some of which I take responsibility for. The one thing that hurt us the most probably was the weather, which is obviously out of our control. Bird numbers aren't what I'd come to expect of SD hunting, but from what I understand, much of that side of the state is in the same boat. I knew they'd had a couple down years when I booked the trip, so that's on me. I also let negativity creep in when trying to temper my expectations from Draper to Howard. The property was very "birdy" and in a better year, I suspect there will be more birds there.

We saw great numbers in Platte and an insane number of birds in Draper. Personally, the Platte hunting is what I'd consider the perfect "pace" and cover for my dogs. That said, I'll make it out to Draper as many times as I can in the future just to see the sheer #'s. Only difference is instead of missing 20 shots in a row next time, I'm going to video the hunts or take pics of the flushes...my shotgun is of no use to me when pheasants are flying high over my head:D

I won't book a block of dates again due to the weather experience. I'll tentatively select a week next time and leave room for adjustment if the weather forecast is like it was during our visit.

Last edited:
Chad, it was nice to meet you and your boys Saturday evening. Too bad we didn't get a chance to hunt together for a day or two. Maybe next year?

BTW, don't let Chad's handle of KansasBrittany fool you. He doesn't have a Brittany in the stable. :)

Chad, it was nice to meet you and your boys Saturday evening. Too bad we didn't get a chance to hunt together for a day or two. Maybe next year?

BTW, don't let Chad's handle of KansasBrittany fool you. He doesn't have a Brittany in the stable. :)

Here now Zeb, I had 2 that passed after I got the current dogs. Don't worry, I'll find my way back "home" in time:)

It was nice meeting you as well. We can hunt together next time, but I'm afraid it won't be next year. In fact, by the time I make it back to SD, I should be able to show you my next/new brit;)

6 birds bagged the first day between 5 guys with 5 dogs. 1 bird lost to a badger hole.

1 pen-reared bird bagged the 2nd day. It had apparently escaped a nearby game preserve.

We woke up at 5am Sunday morning and drove back to KS.

Several factors worked against us, sort of a perfect storm if you will, some of which I take responsibility for. The one thing that hurt us the most probably was the weather, which is obviously out of our control. Bird numbers aren't what I'd come to expect of SD hunting, but from what I understand, much of that side of the state is in the same boat. I knew they'd had a couple down years when I booked the trip, so that's on me. I also let negativity creep in when trying to temper my expectations from Draper to Howard. The property was very "birdy" and in a better year, I suspect there will be more birds there.

We saw great numbers in Platte and an insane number of birds in Draper. Personally, the Platte hunting is what I'd consider the perfect "pace" and cover for my dogs. That said, I'll make it out to Draper as many times as I can in the future just to see the sheer #'s. Only difference is instead of missing 20 shots in a row next time, I'm going to video the hunts or take pics of the flushes...my shotgun is of no use to me when pheasants are flying high over my head:D

I won't book a block of dates again due to the weather experience. I'll tentatively select a week next time and leave room for adjustment if the weather forecast is like it was during our visit.

Yea the weather kind of screwed you a little. Jones county has spoiled me a little the last few years. Unfortunately I will probably never get to hunt that cattail patch again. That is a neighbor to the farmer were we hunt. He allows us to hunt it and a section of grass near it. Well Saturday we had a little run in with his brother who is a real tool. The jury is out on further access. Too bad he kinda went nuts. Oh we'll that is probably the third or fourth biggest flush I have witnessed up there the last ten years or so.

Ps don't feel too bad, four of the guys went to Pierre and hunted private on Sunday. 6+hrs 1 bird

Yea the weather kind of screwed you a little. Jones county has spoiled me a little the last few years. Unfortunately I will probably never get to hunt that cattail patch again. That is a neighbor to the farmer were we hunt. He allows us to hunt it and a section of grass near it. Well Saturday we had a little run in with his brother who is a real tool. The jury is out on further access. Too bad he kinda went nuts. Oh we'll that is probably the third or fourth biggest flush I have witnessed up there the last ten years or so.

Ps don't feel too bad, four of the guys went to Pierre and hunted private on Sunday. 6+hrs 1 bird

Yep, the weather did us no favors. There was another outfitter in town that was apparently having similar luck.

Tom,

I can't believe Shawn et al only harvested one bird! Glad I didn't participate. Also, the roads back to MN were in rough shape on Monday.

Back