The Boar's Nest--week 9

I've been looking at some satellite maps of the area and I understand why there are pheasants out there. Almost every section has some type of slough, shelter belt, creek bed or something on it.:eek: I am definitely not use to seeing that.

YES, when I first went to this place I drove thru the county to north and as soon as I entered Miner I could tell they were conservation friendly. I was amazed to learn that each county sets their own CRP rent rates, etc, etc. Makes a big difference.

No More Spots on this hunt

To those of you who've decided to join the group, thank you! I look forward to meeting and hunting with you all.

To everyone else, thanks for looking, but we're not adding any more hunters.

In case you didn't notice it's DEC--see ya all next week. :D:D

Yes sir!:thumbsup: I've been trying to explain to the dogs that SD actually has pheasants but they still don't believe me. My brother and I are hitting the road Saturday.:cheers:

Looking forward to meeting you and others that Carptom1/Tom has invited.

And the weather appears to be cooperating - no blizzards in sight!

Jon

I'm looking forward to meeting you all as well, just need to survive this work week and the drive halfway across the country.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all as well, just need to survive this work week and the drive halfway across the country.

I have bad news for you guy's about murdo....... My buddy says he got us permission to hunt his neighbors place again. The bad thing is it has only been hunted 8 days all year, by 3 guys. We will be the first on any of it since thanksgiving. The horror, 2+ weeks of rest. Better bring plenty of shells.:D

I thought you guys back east might appreciate what's going on in Ca right now. Its a sunny 67 degrees and yes, that is thigh high green wheat growing where I'm working today.:D

Yes sir!:thumbsup: I've been trying to explain to the dogs that SD actually has pheasants but they still don't believe me. My brother and I are hitting the road Saturday.:cheers:

It must be a sign because as I sit here reading your reply I happen to look out the window onto the garden plot in the back yard and you can tell the dogs that yes indeed there are pheasants in South Dakota--well at least in my back yard there were 2 roosters a couple of minutes ago. :eek:

How cool is that :10sign:

If you all do not mind, I can stop in for a refreshment when the sun goes down on the 13th? Will be hunting not far from there.

If you all do not mind, I can stop in for a refreshment when the sun goes down on the 13th? Will be hunting not far from there.

That would be fine by me UB.

It must be a sign because as I sit here reading your reply I happen to look out the window onto the garden plot in the back yard and you can tell the dogs that yes indeed there are pheasants in South Dakota--well at least in my back yard there were 2 roosters a couple of minutes ago. :eek:

How cool is that :10sign:

Awesome Jim.:10sign:

Looking forward to meeting you and others that Carptom1/Tom has invited.

And the weather appears to be cooperating - no blizzards in sight!

Jon

47 degrees forecast for next thursday. I would prefer 20 and snowing. All the snow is gone and at those temps those suckers will be wild.

I'm getting pretty "giddy" here. Stupid boiler inspections are going to put me on the road later than expected, so I may not arrive until later in the day Wednesday. Of course I don't expect anyone to wait up on us. If need be, I'll pass along your powder in Murdo Thursday; sorry, wish I could be more certain about when I'll arrive, but that's life.

Sounds great UB:cheers: I'll PM you my contact info though I'm not sure the phone will work there. Probably better have Robert send his as well.

I have bad news for you guy's about murdo....... My buddy says he got us permission to hunt his neighbors place again. The bad thing is it has only been hunted 8 days all year, by 3 guys. We will be the first on any of it since thanksgiving. The horror, 2+ weeks of rest. Better bring plenty of shells.:D

This is terrible news, Tom. My kids will probably cry out in fear, overwhelmed and confused--we may have no other choice but to rush back to the truck, change our britches, and run like scolded dogs all the way back to KS:D

The weather...I did not expect it to be in the 40's, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Buck, I was also thinking of trying to catch up with these guys one evening after the hunt. Maybe have supper someplace?? Madison would be a central location.

Buck where are you hunting on the 13th? Need anther hunter?

This is terrible news, Tom. My kids will probably cry out in fear, overwhelmed and confused--we may have no other choice but to rush back to the truck, change our britches, and run like scolded dogs all the way back to KS:D

The weather...I did not expect it to be in the 40's, that's for sure.

I don't know if you will run off, but I would imagine the 1/2 mile long 100 yard wide cattail patch might have a bird or two in it. Especially if it hasn't been hunted in a couple weeks. Two years ago they looked like cockroaches running out of there. I had never seen anything like it. It will be fun watching your boys see something like that. That always makes me smile.

Back