Swiitchgrass vs Mix

This is about deer habitat but relates to pheasants as well. A very good discussion .
I’ve watched his videos extensively. I agree to an extent. Switch alone is OUTSTANDING winter cover but in terms of nesting in brood rearing it gets a B-. What I have found to get the best results is if you have a 20 acre field, plant 10-12 acres of it in a mix, as mixes are more attractive to bugs, therefore more attractive to birds. And the remainder in switch for winter cover. Another option is to plant switch at a lower rate, maybe 6 pounds/acre instead of 8 or 10, as this will result in a lower stem density, and be easier and more attractive to broods. It will still provide GOOD winter cover. Thanks
Mason

Well, I think Mason nailed it. As the CP-38 crp program was designed with pheasant recovery in mind. It consisted of 25% winter cover, which was switchgrass and could include up to 2 acres of shrubs/conifers, annual grain food plots of 10% (5 acres max) and the balance nesting cover, where they wanted a mix of native prairie grasses with added forbes (flowers bring bugs) optional. It all does get thick. Once we got to the mid-contract management, we burn a third each year. The burnt area, might only provide later nestings, but that third should provide great brood rearing habitat. I can see asking to burn again before the contract expires, just to improve the habitat. It all makes great hunting opportunities and it is a pheasant producing machine. Our nesting cover includes switch and bigblue stem, so deer are in all of it also.

Back