Sweet 16 switching safety?

Hockeybob

My 73 year old father now shoots left handed due to poor eye sight in one eye. Is it possible to put the safety on the opposite side of the gun? As it stands now he has to reach around and underneath to push it in when ready to shoot.

Thanks,
bob

I think you can get a left hand safety from Browning. Go to their web site and get their contact info. Any competent gunsmith should be able to switch them out for about $25.

If he can't get it switched, he may want to try what I do. I've always shot righty guns left handed. I flip the safety with my middle finger. I have my trigger finger on the guard and flip the safety when the birds are in the air. Plenty of time and it just feels natural. I even have an auto 5 that I shoot this way. Works fine. It would probably be easy for him since he's just starting to shoot left handed.

Keep the trigger finger just inside the guard, but not touching the trigger. Middle finger wrapped around. This way, you don't have to bring the trigger finger back around.

I was always concerned that someone else would pick my gun up and fire it thinking the safety is on if I had it reversed.

I shot my Xtrema (left-handed) as AKP suggests except that I used my index finger and then put it into the trigger guard to shoot. I never thought of trying to use my middle finger. I got pretty quick at it, but I did not regret getting it switched over (125$ for a left-handed trigger assembly) - much faster. I managed to sell the RH one for 100$, so not too bad.

Back