Successful WILD Pheasant Youth Hunt

Lol. !

The ONLY reason this Program would not succeed would be that not enough upland hunters support it!

It will be interesting to see the results of the upcoming flushing survey !

I see that the WPRA program seems to be shrinking. What’s going on? Has the State concluded that pheasants can no longer sustain a wild population in PA?

If so, that is really disappointing.

Unfortunately some of the WPRA's haven't received the support of the sportsman in Pa., relying only on the local PF Chapter to do all the work . A couple WPRA's are still doing very well and are offering youth hunts. Even in these units it's just a handful of sportsman doing all the work.
There ARE still pockets of wild birds outside of the WPRA's , but these are few and far between .

That’s a shame. I spend weekends in Berks County. I’m going to try to get involved there. It would be nice to see less pointless mowing.

Berks County...I have very fond memories of hunting wild birds in that area in years gone by! There is a very large Game Preserve not far from there that has promise and has had reports of broods.

Welcome to the site!

It's probably not a wise thing for me to give exact locations of the few remaining locations of wild birds on a public Forum.
We spend a great deal of time and effort locating these areas and I wouldn't want to jeopardize someone's favorite spot.

I edited it. I am surprised that there are still wild birds. My family has owned property in Berks for over 50 years. As a kid, seeing pheasants was common. I remember chasing quail with a bb gun as a kid (don’t worry, I was never able to get close enough to a sitting quail for a shot). I am not from a hunting family and I had to pick it up as an adult. I would love to see them take hold again. Personally, I wouldn’t shoot any unless there was a major recovery.

The area where we are has really changed. I don’t usually notice it until I see old pictures. We used to also have good grouse numbers in the woods around there. They are really down recently. I am hoping some of the recent logging will help. I don’t shoot them anymore except for farther north.

Last edited:
Back