Spring Water Levels

Eastofriver

Hi Fellas,

Just checking on the spring water levels in your areas. I Pheasant hunt the Gettysburg to the Eureka area. Hopefully I draw a waterfowl license also.

I will be hunting from the Eureka area to Britton for waterfowl. Just looking for some spring water observations and the amount of nesting ducks.

Any help would be appreciated.

I live in Edmunds county. We have less standing water than last year at this time. Big soughs have water little ones are dry. That can all change.

The drought monitor shows nothing but it is dry. The dugouts in the south are about half full. I would think the heavy snow to the north would have filled up more of the sloughs but maybe not.

It's a double edge sword for ducks and pheasants. I like the current conditions for pheasant nesting.

When its dry there is a lot more acres available for pheasants to nest in.

I am at the south end of the coteau. Haymaker is up where it widens out. the best duck hunting is up on the north end of the state.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand about the 'double edged sword".

It would be nice to have all things fall together in a perfect world.

As I stated earlier I will be duck hunting from Eureka to Britton (No. part of the state}.

I pheasant hunt the Gettysburg area with my son.

Hi Fellas,

Just checking on the spring water levels in your areas. I Pheasant hunt the Gettysburg to the Eureka area. Hopefully I draw a waterfowl license also.

I will be hunting from the Eureka area to Britton for waterfowl. Just looking for some spring water observations and the amount of nesting ducks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seems drier than last year

I tooled around duck country 4 days last week. A lot of breeding pairs from the Hecla area north with good water at least to the highway at Jamestown. Sloughs were full past the backside of the cattails and still some wet spots in fields formerly in crops. Water level dropped off considerably 20 miles into SD and few ducks seen other than some bluewings. Saw some really nice birds in full plumage and a few cans and bull sprigs i'd love to have mounted. Plenty of ducks all the way to the river and enough water, less than I expected though. Word is it is very wet above Devils and plenty of birds. 1.5 inches generally since tuesday when I drove home should help the ducks, but roosters were crowing by themselves in the evening so hens are in the process of laying and will need a drier spring. I predict plenty of ducks next year thanks to enough water. I covered a small portion in the grand scheme of things, but it seemed like a lot.

Back