Southwest Nebraska

tbob131

Headed to southwestern Nebraska tomorrow, this will be my first trip.Will be hunting some private, some public. Couple questions, are sandburrs an issue there?? Good restaurant around Mccook? Hope everyone is having a wonderful season.

We were in that area but a county east and didn’t run into sand burs , I would recommend having a role of duct tape in case you had to make up some on the fly . I have gotten into wheat fields in west part of Kansas and had to boot my dogs.

Let us know how it goes , I bet hunting pressure very light this time of year .

I know some guys from close to where I live that went one county east and said quail were thick, phez not so much

Today was first day, we found 4 coveys of quail and at least 300 phez. Crusty snow made stealth impossible and dogs feet sore. We were able to scratch out 7 quail and 3 roosters. Poor shooting or we could have had a few more.

Today was first day, we found 4 coveys of quail and at least 300 phez. Crusty snow made stealth impossible and dogs feet sore. We were able to scratch out 7 quail and 3 roosters. Poor shooting or we could have had a few more.

Definitely a great start to your hunt. I had a great hunt in that area back in mid November. As KS said share some pics if you can.

How's the hunting been?

Probably gonna head to the Republican area this weekend. Just me and the dog...can't stand letting the season go quite yet.

Also, it's too dang cold in MN to do much of anything.

How's the hunting been?

Probably gonna head to the Republican area this weekend. Just me and the dog...can't stand letting the season go quite yet.

Also, it's too dang cold in MN to do much of anything.

I was east of that area but snuck out Monday after the snow storm. It was awesome tracking conditions. Was surprised I finished with a limit because I could not hit a thing. Missed four chip shots and two others that were killable before I was finally able to connect. Didn't miss after that. I guess I just needed to remember how to shoot. Birds held tight and it was a great day. (Sorry the pic is rotated, too lazy to switch it).
View attachment 9080

Back