Southwest Indiana Quail?

20bore

Howdy, I recently moved to the area and hope to chase a few birds this fall. Any Indiana guys near Evansville on here? I have 3 setters and travel often to hunt.

Quail may be few and far between, years ago they had some in your area, I am from central Indiana, on the outskirts of Indianapolis south side. Check with DNR for the put and take pheasant hunt program, which will be coming up in another month or so. The clean up hunt starts the end of Nov, this allows hunters to go out to the areas that DNR has released pheasants, at and at no cost other than having your hunting license and bird permit, and take the remaining birds both hen and roosters. We do very good on these as there are hundreds if not thousands of birds that have made it, but will not survive the winter having been pen raised. A great work out for your dogs none the less.

Quail may be few and far between, years ago they had some in your area, I am from central Indiana, on the outskirts of Indianapolis south side. Check with DNR for the put and take pheasant hunt program, which will be coming up in another month or so. The clean up hunt starts the end of Nov, this allows hunters to go out to the areas that DNR has released pheasants, at and at no cost other than having your hunting license and bird permit, and take the remaining birds both hen and roosters. We do very good on these as there are hundreds if not thousands of birds that have made it, but will not survive the winter having been pen raised. A great work out for your dogs none the less.

The Put and Take registrations are already up. I suspect they are getting pretty full at this point too.:thumbsup:

They are fun and worth the cost of admission. In the right place with good dogs you can limit out quick. Or you can spend all day pushing birds to another zone :D

It's closer to the feel of a wild bird hunt than hunting a preserve is.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5834.htm

Indiana

Got lucky last year and drew a lottery hunt on one of the Upland Bird properties. It was fantastic!! Fifty Roosters and covey of quail flushed and three limits of wild birds. I will probably never be drawn again but it was amazing and my pup did an awesome job. I signed up for a Put and Take and another Upland Property again this year. I may do a couple of more Put & Takes and scout for a clean up area.

If you are an upland hunter most of us travel to hunt. Look at Iowa, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, PA. I think there may be some birds around Patoka.

That is great, the clean up hunts are a lot of fun, that is one of the things I save my vacation up for. We have never had to kick a bird up in the air like they do on the show Bird Dog Wars, the pheasants that DNR release are very capable of flying a long distance. We had several birds that flushed 100 yards ahead of us, and as sneaky as you have ever seen. We needed blockers sometimes when pushing a field, as they will run on you.

Back