South Dakota

carptom1

Looking for a couple guys to fill out a hunt in October in South Dakota. My group has gotten a little smaller because of life issues. I have access to some great private ground in SD. I have hunted this farm for years. I enjoy meeting and hunting with other people. I only need two guys as I like to keep it at about 6 to keep the farmer happy. It is all private access 10k + acres. We will be hunting friday the 23-sun the 25th of October. There are several on here that can attest to the quality of the hunt. I will say that I run a Lab, and we have a Golden, and a close working Brittany. I will ask that if you have a far ranging pointer, or a dog you can't control, this probably isn't the place to train him. I talked to the farmer a couple weeks ago and he told me he has never seen as many birds as he has seen combining wheat. Last year was good but down, three years ago it was amazing. He said this year should be better. He plants some food plots and leaves some grass for the birds so there is a trespass fee to offset his costs. It is 150.00 per day no lodging. We stay about 10 miles from his farm where there are several hotels. We hunt hard, and go to bed early. JonnyB is a machine, ( I think he is like ninety, but he doesn't look a day over eighty five)

david0311

Tom--

If not guiding at that time --may give you a call if your not filled up--

To others --Tom is offering a great opportunity-- for someone with out a place already--

Good guy :)

Hmmm - a machine...and looks ninety! Pushing 78 and still going strong.

Come join us if you think you can keep up! Looking forward to new faces, to be a part of the hunt.

a.k.a. Jonny B

very cool offer & better deal then alot of other daily hunt fees ive seen or herd of... wish i could swing it but dont look good 4 me???

im very curious if u guys are gonna be hit n some public lands while in SD the other 2 days of your 5 day s u get to hunt SD per hunt period??? or will u guys be resting up after the hunt??? just mess n...

would be cool to maybe hook up for a public land hunt & burger/drink after to b/s a little if that would work... the public mite be beat down that close to opener so i understand if it does not work out i plan to come in NOV but could move things up i want to prairie grouse hunt so early works lol

nice offer & keep in touch carptom...

My trip this october will be a quick one. I am going to road hunt with my son down around Platte and work my way northwest from there. Leave home at 3 am that thursday, usually eating breakfast in Platte at 11am. Only one son with me this trip as my older boy got his 1st teaching job this year and can't take off.

First year

That first year will make his head spin, but he'll get through it and be good to go. He'll have a job for 30 years and never feel like he was going to work. He can hunt up there Christmas break in the snow, and fish and train his dogs in the summer. Hard to beat that life.

If you get down to the end and still need a guy let me know. Elle and I might be in the Presho area about that time. BTW, what area is it that you have this farm to hunt on?

That first year will make his head spin, but he'll get through it and be good to go. He'll have a job for 30 years and never feel like he was going to work. He can hunt up there Christmas break in the snow, and fish and train his dogs in the summer. Hard to beat that life.

I agree. He is disappointed but he knows there will be other trips. He is a far better son than I have ever been a father.

Let me just say how much I wish I could be there again. Tom has the spot guys! This is an awesome opportunity.

I'd give my left nut to go hunt with Tom,,my work is seasonal and it is just to early in the year for me.

I am hoping to get back in december. This year might be one of those epic decembers where the big flocks are back. In all the years I have hunted SD I witnessed something three decembers ago I will never see again. A flush where the whole draw seemed to move. 2000 + birds. We didn't get any of them but it was sure cool to see. You are more than welcome if you are bored :)

Dec.

I hunted the last week of the season the last few years and the weather can be so unpredictable, and pushing 60 it's just a little too tough on me. I love the Dec. hunting though. Next year I'm gonna ice fish up near Wishek, ND for a few days and work my way down to Miller right when deer hunting ends, I think December 6th, and hunt for ten days. Weather could still be a factor, but I didn't see one other hunter out when I hunted that time of year. It was like you had the whole place to yourself. Cattail ground was frozen and they are fun to hunt. Ditches are full of snow then, but no trouble getting permission to hunt. Folks maybe thought if you are crazy enough to be out here, I'll let you give it a try.

To me nothing better than a crisp morning with a little snow, maybe 10 degrees with no wind. That black lab crashing the tails all day. When it is cold he hunts as hard at 4 pm as he does at 10 am. Black dog covered in snow, nothing beats it.

Let me just say how much I wish I could be there again. Tom has the spot guys! This is an awesome opportunity.

Robert, I can still see all those birds coming out of those cattails. Chad's boys shot a box of shells there that morning. Probably 500 birds or so. Too much fun

Robert, I can still see all those birds coming out of those cattails. Chad's boys shot a box of shells there that morning. Probably 500 birds or so. Too much fun

I can see it too, awesome is all I can say. I do wish we had some of that crisp weather we should've had but either way that's an experience I'll never forget.:cheers:

Thanks for the group photo, Robert - great to be a part of the hunt last December.

And the "great slough uprising"...what a shoot!

Back