South Dakota UPH Wounded Warriors Hunt

I am going to pencil this in. There are a few ifs, but sounds like a good trip to me. Some say I snore, but I've never heard it. I'll bring some smoked pork loin.

Good to have you on board Buck. That makes six that have expressed interest, two have committed weather permitting.

I have been informed that the wounded warrior that was coming has decided that he is not ready. He is a burn victim and does not think he can handle the trip from Colorado. I can't imagine what that must be like. Thanks to everybody that was willing to support that.

Haymaker,

you still have room. I am thinking I might be able to swing it. I will be in SD already from the 11-14th of december so I might be able to swing a couple more days. Let me know. Again I would need a bottom bunk, so we don't end up with some kind of crushing incident:eek:

Yes we still have room. You are the 7th one to express interest. I suppose we need to start firming things up a little. Anyone that that wants a bottom bunk, please let me know and I will make a list. Maybe it would be easier to ask who is capable of using a top bunk.

david0311

haymaker, do you have a count on the number of hunters that will be there. Lots of chatter on this thread, which is good, but I don't see many commiting to attend. Maybe they are sending you PM's? I was just wondering.

As a former vet (Vietnam era) I plan to attend but can't definately commit at this time.

George,

Did have you committed to this hunt as yet? Might try to work it in--

George,

Did have you committed to this hunt as yet? Might try to work it in--

Not yet Dave. I have some other things going on just prior to it that I have to see how they work out. Mine might be a last minute commitment.

Haymaker,

Is this still on or not?

Yes this is still on. The only thing that will stop it is if the waether gets so tough that the birds go into survival mode. We have had seven people express interest, and two have committed. Zeb has said that he will make a last minute decision based on other things that he has going on. I will start checking with the people that have expressed interest next week, or they can tell me here what they are thinking. For what it is worth the birds are scattered in this nice weather. We will need some tougher weather to make the birds bunch up. The group that just left shot two birds per hunter the first day and less after that. That was with bluebird weather. This is late season hunting, the birds are wild and the cover is short. They saw alot of birds, the trick is to get close enough to get shots at them. I don't want to fool anyone. How many birds we shoot will depend on the weather and how many people show up and how we hunt. The thing that I am focused on is the Wounded Warriors that are missing a leg or what ever. For me this hunt is about them.

I just checked the weather forecast for the 15th and 16th. It looks like we could have a little snow this week end and that it will be colder next weekend. As far as how the hunting will be, it will be late season hunting the birds will be wild. If it gets windy and cold they will bunch up in the cattails and trees. The other thing I can tell you is that every group but one, including the last three groups have rebooked for next year. The one group that did not hunted in the third week, and they had a great hunt but are not able to hunt next year. I will be contacting the people that have expressed interest in the near future to see if they are still interested.

Saweet idea HM. I might be up for it and dont need to shoot a bird. Odie boy is just the right animal for those cattails. I would like to let another walk by me that has no dog and get all the shooting, even mine if I can swing it. It will be last minute for me as George said as well. Count my bed for a donation no matter what. I get a bigger kick from another getting birds and just love the dog work. River just went in for barbed wire surgery, she was tore up pretty bad. So I might still be dealing with that cone head dog. I have 3 others with the Ode man. And the cattails would suit me just fine and dandy. 30 below or what ever. And I could get my fat side up a top bunk. What is WW? there has been so many posts, I never read them all. Take care, great idea.
:cheers::10sign:

Haymaker,

I will be a little farther south wed,thurs,friday. Were you planning on hunting Sat/Sun? I'm not too worried about the birds, I just don't want to go home on friday:D I again will say I will need a bottom bunk:D

The latest is that yesterday 3 people went hunting, they told me they saw hundreds of birds and got four. The trick is to get close enough. It was a very nice day. The forecast for saturday and sunday is temps in the mid 20s and partly cloudy. If we have some wind that will help to get closer. My apologies for scheduling this too close to Christmas. That will have some affect on who can make it. We will hunt if anyone new wants to come.

Haymaker, how much snow is out there? My hunt in Minnesota has been cancelled so I might make it on Saturday only. Drove 50 miles over to Minnesota this morning and they had 15-16 inches of snow. Everything is covered including the cattails. Too much snow and drifting to get into the fields. Do you have a number yet on hunters?

Haymaker, how much snow is out there? My hunt in Minnesota has been cancelled so I might make it on Saturday only. Drove 50 miles over to Minnesota this morning and they had 15-16 inches of snow. Everything is covered including the cattails. Too much snow and drifting to get into the fields. Do you have a number yet on hunters?

Zeb there is about six inches as best I can guess. The wind blew it around so it is hard to tell. It was ok to hunt yesterday, except the birds are smart and tend to leave the party early.

Zeb it looks like Uncle Buck, maybe Jonny B, what ever you can hunt and myself when I can. I made a mistake having it this close to Christmas. Buck is coming even if he is the only one. I could see if I could add some local hunters if we want more numbers. That would be up to you guys.

I've hunted with both Buck and Jon before. Good guys. Last I heard for Jon was he probably wouldn't be there but maybe that has changed. Hopefully he will see this post.

Back