South Dakota UPH Wounded Warriors Hunt

Thank you it's mean alot to us brothers and sisters, I'm a Marine Iraqi combat vet and I help the wounded warriors.

If I attend, the option of hunting for three or four day's would be appealing vs. only two as you previously described. Would that be possible? It's about a 300 mile hike from Minneapolis...

Jonny B I might be interested in this hunt also. I am from the Twin Cities area maybe we could car/truck pool together and save on gas prices. I like the idea of the hunt. I love late season wild birds, they are a true trophy bird! Keep me posted I am interested in hunting and helping at the same time.

Definetely a most noble idea! Tried doing something similar a few years back with our hunt club. Offered to donate afew of my birds and act as guide with my dogs to any soldier back from duty. Stopped by and talked to our local National Guard since they were the closest, but never had any takers. :(

I have had an idea for awhile now and I have decided to act on it. What I am suggesting is that I will host a hunt and invite UPH members to participate. It will be much like the pre season hunt done in Minnesota except that it will be late season, it will be wild birds and it will benefit The Wounded Warriors. The details are, I am going to collect $50 per night for the lodging, which I am going to keep for the expenses. I am going to charge $60 dollars per day for hunting which is about half price. That $60 dollars will be donated to The Wounded Warriors. I am not limiting anyone to $60 dollars but that is the minimum. This is a no frills hunt and it will be WILD birds. You can do your own cooking in our stocked kitchen. I will provide some hamburger. We have beds for 12 but the beds are bunk beds so if we get 12 hunters six of them are going to have to be young enough to get to the top bunk. The last hunters that I have booked will be done hunting December 12th. I am assumming that this needs to be done on a weekend but it does not matter to me. The week end of the 8th and 9th will have 2 days rest and the weekend of the 15th and 16th will have 3 days since the last hunters. I am not responsible for the weather. I will not collect any deposits. If the weather gets too tough and the birds are in survival mode I will cancel the hunt and we will try again next year. I am sure that this will create some questions that I have not thought of. Feel free to ask them. There are two options for dogs I have an uninsulated hoop building that can be used, or dogs that are used to warmer conditions can be in the bunkhouse in a kennel. So that is the nuts and bolts of my idea. If any one has suggestions as to how this can be better, I welcome them. I hope this can be a fun time and that we can do some good for those that have done so much for us. I am not picking a date at this time, we will see how much interest there is and when people want to do this.
Great job on hosting a wounded warrior! Do the same rates apply to them, or is the person bringing them responsible to foot the bill?

This guy is hunting for free.

Haymaker, your doing enough my friend;) I think we can raise the small amount to pay this gentleman's way.

Would it be a okay if those interested can send you donations toward his hunt?

Haymaker, your doing enough my friend;) I think we can raise the small amount to pay this gentleman's way.

Would it be a okay if those interested can send you donations toward his hunt?

Thanks you for that kind offer. I guess that would be OK, or you could contribute when we do the UPHWW hunt. I will leave it entirely up to you. But I really appreciate the idea. That is what this is all about, helping those who do so much for us.

Thanks you for that kind offer. I guess that would be OK, or you could contribute when we do the UPHWW hunt. I will leave it entirely up to you. But I really appreciate the idea. That is what this is all about, helping those who do so much for us.

Thank you for your good works my friend. I won't be attending the hunt but would love to donate towards the gentleman's hunt Haymaker. PM me with mailing info when it's time to get this thing rolling.

Thanks again.:cheers:

Thank you for your good works my friend. I won't be attending the hunt but would love to donate towards the gentleman's hunt Haymaker. PM me with mailing info when it's time to get this thing rolling.

Thanks again.:cheers:

If you want to split it or something, pm me I would be more than happy to chip in.

haymaker, do you have a count on the number of hunters that will be there. Lots of chatter on this thread, which is good, but I don't see many commiting to attend. Maybe they are sending you PM's? I was just wondering.

As a former vet (Vietnam era) I plan to attend but can't definately commit at this time.

If you want to split it or something, pm me I would be more than happy to chip in.

Yeah, that sounds good Carp:). Thanks brother.:cheers:

Haymaker, if you don't mind send us the info when all is ready and set to go with this gentlemen that would be great.

Thank you!

Nick

Yeah, that sounds good Carp:). Thanks brother.:cheers:

Haymaker, if you don't mind send us the info when all is ready and set to go with this gentlemen that would be great.

Thank you!

Nick

I can do that. Lets wait and and make sure he does make it and actually hunts. Again thanks you don't have to do this, but I am glad the idea is growing.

haymaker, do you have a count on the number of hunters that will be there. Lots of chatter on this thread, which is good, but I don't see many commiting to attend. Maybe they are sending you PM's? I was just wondering.

As a former vet (Vietnam era) I plan to attend but can't definately commit at this time.

Zeb at this point I think we have 5 that have expressed an interest. I think that we should pick a date pretty soon so people know for sure what we are doing. I am leaning towards the week end of 15th and 16th of December.

Haymaker, Get in touch with Ranger6, has post in forum "2013 Low budget hunting land"

H-maker, keep us posted on progress of the UPH WWH and the soldiers that attend. I'll pitch in, could you please provide info to mail check.

SDUPHWW hunt

Here is the latest. I think that December 15th and 16th are the days that we will hunt. So far there have been 5 people express interest. If the weather permits we will hunt with however many people show up. The deadline to get in on the hunt is December 14th. The main purpose of this hunt is to raise money for The Wounded Warrior Project. There won't be any actual wounded warriors here that I am aware of. There isn't much to plan as everything is here. I will need to know the number so I can get beds ready, and we will have to talk about food at some point.

There is going to be a wounded warrior hunting here in a couple weeks. For those of you who are kind enough to offer to pay his way, I would prefer that we wait and make sure that he makes it before we worry about paying.

You folks don't need me to contribute to WW but if anyone wants to contribute even if they can't make the hunt, that will be fine.

So far the hunting has been really good with most groups getting there limits. It really depends alot on the hunters. The ones that are serious about shooting birds, are. The ones that are more concerned about how their dog is handling different situations are getting to find that out but may not be shooting maximum birds. Everyone is leaving with smiles and handshakes so far. I hope this answers everyones questions. If you have more, I will try to answer them.

Back