Something to Crow About!!!

From Hinsdale over to Dagmar, I have touched base with quite a few ranchers and farmers in the last month and they are all optimistic with what they are seeing. The rains have come when needed and the crops are looking good...both the durham and the upland chicks! Its so nice to see chicks in numbers that I have not seen in a couple of years. Another nice thing is the amount of habitat that is available and out there. It is drying up a bit, but thats normal for this time of year. I believe we have the makings of a good fall coming our way....cant wait for those three most famous words in all of hunting.....Rooster...Rooster....Rooster!:cheers:

Indeed! something to crow about.:) Thanks for the report.

Have you taken the route from Opheim through Scoby, Plentywood etc?
Some of my favorite country up there.

Nice to hear!:thumbsup: What kind of harvest "numbers" does Montana average yearly?

Montana's pheasant range is larger then that of any other State. However pheasant are found only in suitable habitat within the range.
120,000-150,000 taken by hunters annually. [wild roosters]

Thanks, we always thought of Minnesota as being sort-of a sleeper state for pheasants, maybe we should add Montana as well!

OK, before Y'all flock into Montana. Couple facts.:)
Montana's pheasant range is 3 times the size of Minnesota's.:eek:
Minnesota has some 500,000 rooster harvest per year.
Montana about 120,000.:(
You wanna hunt Montana? You better get your hiking boots broke in. And get the pup in top condition.
Last year in good MT pheasant country, average was 4 miles per rooster flush.:eek:

I was going to fire off a reply, then I figured why tell the world...LOL, their are a few birds in parts of Montana.:rolleyes:

And, it takes years of searching and hard hunting to find those "honey holes":cheers:

I am heading up to Montana in Oct. But not focusing on Pheasants.
But if one ends up off the nose of my dogs, I guess I could pull the trigger on a pheasant :)

Four miles per rooster flush? If me and the dogs get out of the pickup and walk more then a couple of hundred yards and not flush a rooster, it is time to get back to the truck and head for greener pastures. Most of Montana is not pheasant habitat, that said, there are areas that I believe rival anywhere in the country as far a s wild bird populations go. Ive been lucky to share my hunting areas with people from Regina,Sk, to Denver, alot of them hunt SD, and all were impressed with the number of birds they saw. And I believe, after the devasting winter of 2010-11 , followed by the wet,cold spring we are now on the verge another great bird year in NE MT.

Was very impressed with NE MT. A few years ago my waterfowl trip to Medicine Lake turned into 4 great days of upland hunting. Heading back to my relatives north of Columbus this year, hopefully birds are doing well.

Four miles per rooster flush? If me and the dogs get out of the pickup and walk more then a couple of hundred yards and not flush a rooster, it is time to get back to the truck and head for greener pastures. Most of Montana is not pheasant habitat, that said, there are areas that I believe rival anywhere in the country as far a s wild bird populations go. Ive been lucky to share my hunting areas with people from Regina,Sk, to Denver, alot of them hunt SD, and all were impressed with the number of birds they saw. And I believe, after the devasting winter of 2010-11 , followed by the wet,cold spring we are now on the verge another great bird year in NE MT.

You apparently missed the parts where I talk about honey holes.:cheers:

Back