Solo Hunter looking for some friends

fowlplay27403

No that wasn't a pick up line haha. Seriously though, I like many out of staters will probably get laughed at but here goes nothing...I am coming from NC November 5th through the 10th. I pulled a non-res waterfowl license so I will be duck hunting everyday that I am out there. But with there being a full moon during that time, there could be long lulls in the duck hunts, or duck hunting might be terrible until the very end of the day. Either way I also purchased a small game license so I could hunt pheasant after I limit out on ducks or get sick of freezing in the marsh/field. I am staying in Aberdeen and have done as much cyber scouting as I possibly can, and have a pretty good game plan for hunting public land. Even found birds on googlemaps imagery.

Heres where you guys come in. I am looking for a hunting buddy (buddies) for the time I am up there. All of my buddies bailed so I am flying solo (literally and figuratively). Already booked my hotel, my rental car, got my licenses etc. However, I am a rookie pheasant hunter, I wont have a dog, and I am by myself. I know it can be done however I know it is also a lot easier to hunt pheasants with some other guys and a dog or 2. I am looking for someone to take me along for some hunts (I have no desire to go on some fancy guided hunt with a bunch of other people hunting private land with millions of "wild pheasants"). Hell I'll bring the beer and/or whiskey. Not looking for your spot, not looking for anything other than some guys that need an extra man and some free beer and a steak or whatever. And if you have a waterfowl license and want a hunting buddy for a couple of days I would love that as well.

I know I can do it on my own, I am determined as hell to make this trip a success (thus why I am still going even though I am solo) but I would love some company and some new friends. I have pretty much figured out that I can hunt small pieces of cover and roadside ditches by myself, but I don't really consider that as what SD pheasant hunting is all about. So I need someone to show me how its done.

A little about me: I am 29 years old, and a veteran duck hunter from North Carolina. I love beer, football, hunting, fly fishing, and I played ice hockey for 20 years if that tells you anything about me. Send me a PM or post a reply if you will be in the area around those dates and want some company. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Last edited:
Haha yea believe it or not Hockey has blown up here since the early 90s. I moved down here in 1990 when I was 5 from NJ (I was actually born in Maine and lived in NY and MA before moving to NJ just dont hold that against me haha). A lot of Northerners moved down here to Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Also why we got the Hurricanes in 1997. Where are you hunting?

Last edited:
I would invite you over to where we hunt, its only an hour away but we won't be in SD during those dates - that is MN deer opener... good luck bud

I appreciate it Flushed Up. I guess thats a blessing and a curse. You won't be here so that sucks, but Minn. deer opener means way less people in the fields and potholes in SD I am assuming haha :D

A little about me: I am 29 years old, and a veteran duck hunter from North Carolina. I love beer, football, hunting, fly fishing, and I played ice hockey for 20 years if that tells you anything about me. Send me a PM or post a reply if you will be in the area around those dates and want some company. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Are you sure this isn't a singles ad? You had me at beer, football, bird dogs and fly fishing. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your trip - hope it is productive for you! We won't be out that way until closer to thanksgiving. You might try lurking around iawaterfowlers.com, there are several members out in the SD area that might be able to show you around.

Hahaha it really does look like a singles ad! Haha but shit if you don't like football, fly fishing, bird dogs, and beer you mind as well just quit at life haha. At least thats my 2 cents.

Edit: I guess I should also say I love women in case these posts are confusing hahaha. I am not looking for any broke back mountain experiences. I live happily with my gf and our Irish Setter Finn, who unfortunatley is not quite ready for the field. He is just over 1 year old.

I appreciate all the responses so far guys. Everyone is solid on this forum so far. I posted the same kind of message on Duck Hunting Chat and got some response but not offers so I am liking you upland guys more and more haha. Been a member on that forum for a few years and have only been on here for a day and I have already gotten more offers than on there.

Last edited:
yeah go during mn gun deer season much less of us mn pheasant hunters out there only seen some mo & ky boys and i think wi or mi cant remember and some sd locals went during mn gun deer and b4 east river sd gun deer started it was great timing hunter pressure wise... dont remember seeing any waterfowlers but butt loads of waterfowl my kind of place...

i HUNT ALL OVER, LIVE NW OF sIOUX fALLS. i JUST GOT A CHANGE OF PLANS YESTERDAY SO WHO KNOWS.
Haha yea believe it or not Hockey has blown up here since the early 90s. I moved down here in 1990 when I was 5 from NJ (I was actually born in Maine and lived in NY and MA before moving to NJ just dont hold that against me haha). A lot of Northerners moved down here to Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Also why we got the Hurricanes in 1997. Where are you hunting?

fowlplay, I live in Watertown, SD but up until 3 years ago I was in Aberdeen for over 30 years. If you find yourself needing some help pheasant hunting I could head in the Aberdeen direction and hunt a day or two. I'm plum out of private land up there but know some good public areas. I have a Brittany that doesn't have to take a back seat to any pheasant dog. Uncle Buck can attest to that! Maybe Buck can join us with his Pudelpointers.

Aberdeen

Driving right through there early morning on the 10th on my way down to Miller. If you need a third, I'd like to join you guys for the day. I have a young dog and she is an average hunter.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. This has post has turned out better than I ever expected. Uncle Buck and Dakotazeb I would absolutely love to hunt with you gentlemen! I can drive to meet you guys somewhere or if you want to come up to Aberdeen that is cool too. Watertown seems like its not a bad drive so when it gets closer and you guys figure out what you are doing just shoot me a message or post a reply and we can exchange information and I can come meet you guys for a hunt or 2 if it works out that way! Thanks again everyone. And if anyone else is interested just keep posting replies!

mgorvi I leave in the early afternoon on the 10th so I will probably only get to duck hunt that morning if I hunt at all. However one of these other guys might hunt with you! I will leave it up to them to respond. Otherwise I would absolutely hunt with you if I could.

10th

Sounds good, thanks. Let me know if you head out next year. I'd love to sit in a duck blind once and see what that's like. Never duck hunted before. Good luck on your trip this year.

mgorvi I will def let you know if I head back out that way next year. With the Fiance in grad school I doubt I will be able to make it back out there! But I will be back in the future I am sure of it. One of the reason's I am going this year solo is because if I wanted to make this trip anytime soon it had to be this year before she starts grad school!

I met fowlplay south of Aberdeen today and we hunted for 4+ hours. Saw quite a few hens but only 2 roosters that were within range. Wish we would of had better luck but that's hunting. Fowlplay (Mike) is a nice young guy. It was great to get a chance to meet him and share a day in the field.

Here's a pic of Mike and the two roosters.

20141106_124653_zps6eea9d93.jpg

Thank you George I enjoyed my day so much! Thanks again for everything and your dogs were awesome! Glad we got a few roosters to boot! Hopefully we will get to hunt together again in the future! Cheers!

What a great example of why hunting is special and how quickly memories can be made. Congrats on a good hunt guys. :cheers:

Back