so many breeds to chose from???

daryl1801

thinking of getting a dog. thinking of a gsp or gwp or vizsla or lab. dog is going to be outside in a box connected to insulated garage in ND. I cant decide which one to get I like them all and have hunted behind pointers and flushers and liked them both. I need some help.

I don't think anyone here can tell you which dog to get. But maybe we can give you some things to think about that may help you in making that decision. I think given the proper housing any of the breeds you listed would be fine outdoors. It would also be helpful if we knew what you plan to hunt. Do you plan to hunt both upland birds and waterfowl? If you plan to hunt waterfowl it may rule out the GSP and Vizsla. If you are only going to hunt upland birds then at some point you will need to decide which you like better, a pointer or a flusher. Give us a little more info and we'll do what we can to help you. Afterall the search can be a lot of fun. Good luck.

I think Vizsla's do better when they are in the house and a part of the family. I don't know of and have not heard of many people who have Vizsla's and keep them outside. They are true velcro dogs who need to be close to people. I have 2 of them and I don't think they would do as well if they were kept outside. I don't have much experience with the other breeds you listed but I'm sure other people on here can give you some good advice.

I run and love GSP'S but my buddy has a GWP she has a super disposition points and handles cold weather very well and the dog looks like a duck in the water. If I had the room and the money I would add a GWP.

Even if you are only hunting upland birds I think it matters what type you are hunting. A pointer might do better with covey birds and a flusher might do better in heavy think cover. Something to think about.

well I mainly hunt pheasants and a little grouse and huns. I hunt in thick cattails ans lush crp grass. I really think pointers are for me but labs are such nice dogs soo loyal and friendly. pointers seem to be so wild around kids and people. my neighbor has a gsp and that dog is nuts. He jumps all over you and his wife cant control him my other neighbor has a lab but dosent hunt him and he is such a clam dog. but I really like gwp. so can you help with my decision??? thankyou very much for your positive comments!!!

my other neighbor has a lab but dosent hunt him and he is such a clam dog.

I am a lab man and would say that a lab being a clam dog is some what dog/line dependant. My two knuckle heads are a handful at times. I would say that labs that do not hunt are a lot calmer because they tend to be fat. I have not hunted convey birds with my labs but I am guessing if I did it would not be a 100% rewarding experience, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
well I mainly hunt pheasants and a little grouse and huns. I hunt in thick cattails ans lush crp grass. I really think pointers are for me but labs are such nice dogs soo loyal and friendly. pointers seem to be so wild around kids and people. my neighbor has a gsp and that dog is nuts. He jumps all over you and his wife cant control him my other neighbor has a lab but dosent hunt him and he is such a clam dog. but I really like gwp. so can you help with my decision??? thankyou very much for your positive comments!!!

Don't judge a breed due to one dog. There are hyper dogs in every breed. That's why you need to do your homework in finding a breeder with dogs that have a milder disposition. The first Brittany I ever hunted with (35 year ago) was the most hyper dog I've ever seen. Swore I'd never have one. Now I've had Brittanys for the past 15 years and can't imagine having anything else. Mine are very laid back around the house but a ball of fire in the field. Since you are not hunting waterfowl that opens up a whole bunch of breeds for you to consider. If you like the GWP then that might be the direction to go. I'd recommend hunting behind one if you can. But finding the proper breeding is very important in order to get the right dog. Go with a reputable breeder and not some backyard breeder. The good breeders are breeding to enhance the breed and desireable traits. The backyard guys are doing it without the proper thought process and only to have a litter and maybe make a buck.

You have to check out the breed within the breed. No matter what the breed is there are breeders who breed dogs that have different traits within the same breed. You can't say a certain breed is wild and crazy around kids because there are dogs from the same breed that are not crazy around kids. It is all about the dogs line that determines what they will be like. Any field trial line is gonna have a big motor!!!!!That is what they have been bred for for ever!!! There are lines out there that are for family and hunting. I would not buy a dog that was bred for companion dog/hunting and then put it in a kennel. You have a serious choice to make!!!

when i first started out i got a wirehair loved the fact they would hunt all day n anything and any weather and never let up and didn't have to worry about so much trash getting caught up in their coats as well. then got a couple of britts and just was not real happy with them ,might have just been that line of britts , i dont know. now i have wirehairs and will not have anything else, i just love the breed. it also might be of benefit to find a local club and watch as many breeds as you can to confirm which breed you really want ,but i vote wirhairs but i'm partial:thumbsup:

Don't judge a breed due to one dog. There are hyper dogs in every breed. That's why you need to do your homework in finding a breeder with dogs that have a milder disposition. The first Brittany I ever hunted with (35 year ago) was the most hyper dog I've ever seen. Swore I'd never have one. Now I've had Brittanys for the past 15 years and can't imagine having anything else. Mine are very laid back around the house but a ball of fire in the field. Since you are not hunting waterfowl that opens up a whole bunch of breeds for you to consider. If you like the GWP then that might be the direction to go. I'd recommend hunting behind one if you can. But finding the proper breeding is very important in order to get the right dog. Go with a reputable breeder and not some backyard breeder. The good breeders are breeding to enhance the breed and desireable traits. The backyard guys are doing it without the proper thought process and only to have a litter and maybe make a buck.

This post is spot on. I love my GWP, but he's a big dirty dog for the house. He loves mud and dirty water and just anything nasty in general, but I couldn't ask for a more loyal, fun companion and he's a great hunter. I have Brits, 1 GSP, and 1 GWP. They all have their attributes and I'd own any one of the breeds again in the future. I like to keep my bird dogs in the house though and I'd have to say the GSP is best suited for that.........well, if you're patient enough to get through the puppy stage(s)!

Daryl, where are you located in ND? There are a couple of NSTRA field trials coming up in the next couple of weeks in ND that you might consider attending just to see some dogs if you are close. There is one in Williston on Apr. 17&18 and Apr. 24&25 in Oakes.

George, I hope you do well in the NSTRA, trials. I'll be routing for you and Elle. I know how the trials are run and I think you should do well..............Bob

Back