So excited

PHEZZYBOY FROID

As we enter into August, I must admit that my excitement level is on the rise. The Opener is fast approaching.

Just wandering, what are some of your rituals that you go through with your hunting group.

My group, meet the night before, share a few cocktails, tell a few fibs about past adventures. Pre Sunrise, we all meet at McDonald's for Breakfast and then we leave in a convoy to head to the hunt.

heck we will start packing on the first of August , getting all the ammo,dog gear, guns and dogs loaded up for some trial runs out to the sporting goods store. The dogs think they are going hunting! GREAT fun for them!:)

Hey Froid! good to hear from you. I can see the excitement. Got any news about the birds?
Mid Sept I'm going out through that country, do a little visiting, checking on the pheasants. I'll let you know.

I bet it will be a tough year in N E Montana? but havent heard any reports either? anyone hear how hatch is going?

The Report

Some of the locals have told me that they are seeing medium size groups of birds. These could mean that the birds have been pushed into areas because of flooding or that they actually had some good production.

I am going to be 'the optimist" and go with the good hatch theory. If wrong, I am still going to have a great time regardless.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This year I took my dog to a rattle snake avoidance class as a preparation ritual for the Montana trek. I expect to have that treatment as a precursor for hunting season for the next couple of years. Other than that, it's throw stuff in the back of the truck at the last minute, buy a case of Diet Coke and a bag of ice and drive, drive, drive... and remember what I forgot to pack over the course of the trip. Oh, and get a bunch of books on tape.:)

Well I check all my gear. I think I need another vest to add to the 4 I already have. Get a new Dog Tra collar for my dogs.
I own a house in North Dakota and when I get there before I get to the house I stop at the local water hole say hi to all my friends and buy a round then head to the house to unpack and let the dogs out to crap and eat. The next 10 days I hunt with my best farmer friend and he doesn't see his wife much when I get there. I am not well liked but we have fun!

Lazlo

Does anybody now how the mountain grouse hatch in western Montana was this year. I imagine that this year will be mostly mature birds as hatches probably weren't that great with the late spring we had. Less than a month away. :cheers:

Back