side by side

mccuha

I am planning on getting a side by side in 20ga to hunt with this season. I have been looking at everything available out there. I am very interested in the American classics but am open to anything. I have looked at lc smiths , fox,ithicas. Parker is a good gun but in my opinion a little over priced. I want a gun I can use modern ammo in to upland hunt with. I want to stay under $2000. The one concern with older guns is the drop in stock. Suggest ions, experience wanted. What do you use in this style. One more thing. I want to have as light a gun as possible for all day caring.

forgot to mention I want double triggers and splinter forearm.

now we are getting somewhere- IMHO you should not be asking about specific brands of sxs but maybe why some choose the features they have in a sxs. but first off you should ask yourself further what you think you want in a sxs ie. your comment of wanting a splinter forearm and double triggers.

other features on sxs include- ejectors vrs extractors, straight stock vrs pistol grip vrs. monte carlo, barrel length (shorter not always better in a sxs), fixed choke vrs tubes, metal finish (blued, case hardened, chrome etc), no cast vrs cast off (R hand shooter) vrs cast on (left handed).

some features are cosmetic and others serve functional value- ie. there is belief that straight stocks are better on flushes vrs pass shooting, ejectors clear barrels quicker vrs extractors and choke tubes offer variety...

once you decide what features you want then look at the various makers in the price range you want. seems like a daunting task, but once you compare the features you want to what the maker offers, your choices will really drop off.

then maybe list the 3 or 4 potential sxs from various makers you like and ask for input.

it took me a few diff type of shotguns (o/u vrs sxs) and their features till i decided what works best for me...may not work for you however. hope this vagueness is of some value to your endevour.

good suggestions. I don't need auto ejectors. extractors work. I have over/unders with single select trigger but have shot guns with double trigger and really liked them better. I as well have shot guns with splinter forearm and like how they look and feel. Barrel length doesn't matter just want it to be a 20 ga. I have narrowed it down to LC Smith,Fox,or Ithica. I guess what I want to know is what do you shoot and what do you like about these. Info. on side by sides. Also what about drop in stocks. Is it that big a difference.

good suggestions. I don't need auto ejectors. extractors work. I have over/unders with single select trigger but have shot guns with double trigger and really liked them better. I as well have shot guns with splinter forearm and like how they look and feel. Barrel length doesn't matter just want it to be a 20 ga. I have narrowed it down to LC Smith,Fox,or Ithica. I guess what I want to know is what do you shoot and what do you like about these. Info. on side by sides. Also what about drop in stocks. Is it that big a difference.

i too have moved from o/u to sxs, i hunt in Northern MI and the sxs barrels seem easier to track birds with in the woods up here. i like the longer barrel as well to help w swing (28" min) you would think the barrels would get hung up on saplings but not really...a 28" barrel sxs is still shorter then a pump or auto with 26" barrel.

i have a Parker Repro 16/20ga and Fausti 28ga both have straight stocks, single trigger and 28" barrels, shoot L handed so they have cast-on.

i assume that you are talking about drop at comb as that is the most crucial and if one shoots a straight stock then drop at heel is minimized. when i bought the Parker and Fausti i had a gunsmith fit me to them, was surprised that i needed so long of length of pull, but it has made a huge difference in my shooting.

the Parker repro is of course identical to original Parkers and the Fausti is a modern weapon, i do not appreciate a difference in the degree of drop at comb of either. plus if the comb is too low you can get a spacer to place tween your cheek and stock.

the Parker weighs bout 6 1/2 pounds the Fausti is 5 1/4 and pure joy to carry all day. of the 3 shotguns you listed i have limited experience with, do have a sxs Fox in safe but it has cast-off...will have it fit to my daughter if she continues to be interested in hunting.

bottom line...after getting my guns fitted to me i realized it does not matter if i would be carrying an entry level sxs or a high-end one...the one i can hit with is the one that matters and getting the stock to fit you is key.

IMHO

I would look at the JP Sauer SxS's. I just saw 2 20 gauges sell this past week on gunbroker both right around a thousand bucks. One was 5.25# the other was 5.75#.

I shoot a 16 ga with thirty inch barrels that is 6# even. It's a great gun. My opinion is the German Sxs guns are a significantly better value than the American Sxs guns.

Back