Shotgun for 12 yr old daughter

RoyalFlush

I know I can probably find some answers online, but seems best to get some advice from people on here. Looking to purchase a shotgun for my 12 year old daughter and just wondering what other people have used. She loves to shoot .22 and her bow. But it is soon time for pheasant hunting for her!

My Great Grand got a CZ youth 20. I'm so impressed with it I bought the full size for myself. She was a pheasant shootin machine in S D last fall.

Purchased a Browning Micro 20 gauge 3" for my youngest son when he was ten. Awesome shooting shotgun. It is bottom eject so will work with right or left hand shooters. I borrowed it when I was training my Drahthaar as it was a pleasant carry while I had my dog on a check cord and it shoots so well.

I see now it is available as a BPS Micro Midas. About $600

BTW, my son took the gun from the gun store with a box of 3" steel loads and proceeded with a high straight up shot dropping a mallard drake with one shot on a river hunt. The first bird of his hunting life.

12 year old

I have a 12 year old grandson who pheasant hunts and shoot clays with me. He outshoots me every round. I bought him a Weatherby SA-08 youth semi auto and it has been a good gun at a good value. If he would have wanted a pump, it would have been a Benelli Nova or a BPS Micro Midas. Now of course he wants a Cynergy Micro Midas OU because I just got a Cynergy Field. Those are my three picks. I gonna get him a job instead of another gun. It'll save me money in the long run😁

My 13 year old likes her 1187 youth model. Weatherby would be another one I would look at. Good luck.

My 13 year old likes her 1187 youth model. Weatherby would be another one I would look at. Good luck.

After looking at the 1187, I kind of like the short 21" barrel length for her. Seems like it may be easier for her to swing around.

Thank you everybody for your recommendations, she is fairly petite but not much scares her

After looking at the 1187, I kind of like the short 21" barrel length for her. Seems like it may be easier for her to swing around.

Thank you everybody for your recommendations, she is fairly petite but not much scares her

That was one of the reasons I chose it. Reliability was another. Three young ladies that work for me shot it last fall at a charity sporting clays event and they loved it also. They were not seasoned shooters but all three were ready to go buy one after that shoot. I really like the black plastic stock since a 13 year old is gonna ding it up some and would kill me to have a piece of wood get all banged around but that's just me.

That was one of the reasons I chose it. Reliability was another. Three young ladies that work for me shot it last fall at a charity sporting clays event and they loved it also. They were not seasoned shooters but all three were ready to go buy one after that shoot. I really like the black plastic stock since a 13 year old is gonna ding it up some and would kill me to have a piece of wood get all banged around but that's just me.

That is one of the main things also, sometimes 12 and 13 yr olds have not quite learned how not to be clumsy! Dings are going to happen and I do not need to spend $1000 on a first time shotgun

That is one of the main things also, sometimes 12 and 13 yr olds have not quite learned how not to be clumsy! Dings are going to happen and I do not need to spend $1000 on a first time shotgun

Yep. She is counting the days until she can use her moms Guerini but that will be longer than she has in mind I'm sure!

BTW good looking website you have!

Yep. She is counting the days until she can use her moms Guerini but that will be longer than she has in mind I'm sure!

BTW good looking website you have!

Thank you on the website compliment! Come on....let her use the Guerini! :thumbsup:

12 year old

Ya I know. Mine are kind of dinged up too. I'll be 60 next week. You got 45 years
there not to ding things up. Enjoy em' 😁

Bought granddaughters Weatherby SA-08 last year. At 13 and 14 they shot in Mn. Highschool trap and someclays with grampa.maybe 3-4 cases so far no problems. The league starts for them tomorrow. I read about 12,000 shooters this year.

Bought granddaughters Weatherby SA-08 last year. At 13 and 14 they shot in Mn. Highschool trap and someclays with grampa.maybe 3-4 cases so far no problems. The league starts for them tomorrow. I read about 12,000 shooters this year.

They are starting to really push for high school trap teams around our area finally. Wish they would have had that when I was in high school! Nothing better than watching kids how to do something that they can teach their kids when they get older! 12,000 shooters??? That is quite the turnout!

May want to look at the CZ 720 ALS youth .20ga model #06444. It has a 24in barrel with an ATI synthetic stock that can be adjusted for her shorter length of pull and even has a comb that has some adjustments too. This way you can adjust the stock pull for her growth and also for heavier clothing when she is hunting. MSRP is $599.00

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-720-als-g2-20-gauge-24-barrel-fully-adjustable-stock/

Please PM me should you need further info.
Thanks,

Kick'em Up!

Royal, We also went the browning BPS micro route. Nice thing was when they got older, we switched out to a full size english stock. Makes a nifty little bird gun. Didn't cost much to do, but i think the guy I got the english stock from isn't around any more.

Checked my numbers on high school trap league. 2015 about8600 shooters. 2016 10300 2017 they say ovet 12000. I think they are running out of room at private ranges.

Back