Setter neede

Labman500

I have a co worker that was a long time hunter and field trailer that has been dogless for several years now. He is now wanting to get another setter. He has asked me if I knew of anybody that has setters. I am not much help because my contacts are Lab people. I told him I would post about his interest on a couple of sites. I need some contacts of those that may have setters for sale. I think he would prefer a started dog but a pup is not out of the question. Thanks for your help in advance

What type of hunting or trialing is he going to do.
Does he want a big running trial type dog or a more foot hunting dog.

I'm like Steve, a little more information would help. Where is he located? What is he looking for in a dog? Is he going to foot hunt, what birds, horseback trial?

Like others have said, some more information would really help. But here is some info to get you going.

Knowing you are in Indiana I would suggest contacting someone with the Indiana Region of NSTRA. Here is there web site: http://www.indiananstra.com/
If you click on their classified ads there is a setter breeder listed there but one of the officers of the Indiana Region should also be able to steer you on to some good setters.

If you go to the national NSTRA web site: http://www.nstra.org/ clikc on the classifieds there also. The first listing under setters is a guy, Chuck Ludolph, who is in my region (Mid-North Region). Not sure if he has any pups left from the litter he has listed but there would be some great dogs. His male, Tricky Dick Duke, is the sire and a multiple time NSTRA champion. Chuck is located in Slayton, Minnesota.

Setter

Sorry guys for the lack of info. Don't think he will be trailing anymore, he just wants a close working dog he can hunt behind. I feel most of his hunting will be at preserves. He lives just north of New Castle Indiana. He does prefer a pup that he can train himself put he would settle for a started pup. Some of you old timers (No offense) might know him. His name is Delbert Pholson. I just meet him. He says at one time he had some really good setters, he just got out of the dog business and lost his line. He is really a nice man. I am just trying to help him out.

Bryan Camper in walnut illinois has some nice setters, he just won the NSTRA Northern Illinois regional with one of his setters. Have your friend check out Swift rock kennels maybe Bryan has some pups or started dogs.

Tell him to go out to Amo, IN to the Conservation Bird Dog Club when they have their dog of the year trials. He'll meet all sorts of people with all sorts of dogs. Some trial dogs and some hunt dogs. I think their Dog of the year is end of Sept or sometime in Oct. Check their website/facebook page for details.

Tell him to go out to Amo, IN to the Conservation Bird Dog Club when they have their dog of the year trials. He'll meet all sorts of people with all sorts of dogs. Some trial dogs and some hunt dogs. I think their Dog of the year is end of Sept or sometime in Oct. Check their website/facebook page for details.

The Dog of the Year Trail in Amo, IN is Oct. 22-25. I was down there last year for it but won't be going this year.

Good setter

I have an unbelievable setter that is 13 months old. She just came back from the trainer and she will possibly be the best bird dog I have ever had. The gentleman I got her from has had a repeat breeding. PM me and I can give you his number. The attached pic is when my pup was 5 months old and on her very first bird.

Have him give Scott or Ben Berg a call at Berg Brothers Setters. Depending on what trials he ran in his definition of a "close working dog" might be vastly different than most. Scott and Ben will talk with him about what he wants and will put him in the right breeding. And they are really great bird dog guys who produce some really nice dogs.

http://www.bergbrossetters.com/

Call Bob or Liz Carver at Rock Point Kennels in Carbon IN. She usually has some very good setters, starts them. trains them, etc.
765-562-2648

They probably have a website too. Know them personally and have seen many of their dogs.

Back