Semi Guided Western Hunt suggestion?

klappy803

Been lurking here quite a while, first post and for good reason!
Got on the same page with the wife and we are gonna try and plan a quick western pheasant hunt this fall! Our lab will be almost 6 and next year we will hopefully have another kid on the way we figured we'ed better take the opportunity. And its not every day that I will get to go on a hunting trip with my wife!

So we are thinking a semi guided hunt with lodging and a wild bird population. Productivity is going to be key. I don't mind a tough hunt and can handle minimal action, but imagine that she won't feel the same way as myself. I don't mind hunting public land as long as its not a zoo and there are birds present. We don't need to be pampered in a five star lodge, just some where to sleep and eat.

I don't know much about how the program works out there. I am thinking Montana or South Dakota but am open to suggestions. I have a mule deer hunt in montana from the 26th of october until november 1st. so it has to be early in the season.

What kind of pricing should I expect? Some of the sites if browsed seemed a little steep at 1300 to 1500 for a three day hunt? Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Andy

Not clear what you expect from a semi-guided hunt, however, $1300-1500 is in the ball park for two people. Fees in SD (private land) average $150 per day per gun. Motels, in season, average $75 per night and out of state license for two is $250.

Add gasoline, food, shells et al and one can easily get to $1500.

Late season hunting may be less and using public hunting land would reduce the cost as well.

Good luck!

I was thinking semi guided to be your own hunting party with your own dog, not following a guide with his dog. Hoping the guide would point you towards some productive areas with the possibility of running into a fair number birds. Private property would be a huge plus so we don't have to worry about competing with the masses (I've had some experience with that here in Wisconsin) Not looking to hunt a bunch of birds turned loose in the last two days. Fair chase is definitely in my vocabulary.
For the first trip out there strictly for pheasants, we would just like a little guidance from a knowledgable guide or rancher while "getting our feet wet."

As far as the prices, 1500 for two hunters is very doable for us. 1500 per hunter is too steep. Lodging on the property we are hunting would be cool but not a must.
Also as I mentioned earlier, I hopefully have a mule deer tag for Montana which includes a small game license cutting the cost if we venture that far west.

If you are planning to book with an outfitter early in the SD pheasant season you may already be too late. The first 2-3 weeks fill up fast. JonnyB's estimate of $150/day/gun on private land I believe is on the low side. From what I see and hear $250-350/day/gun is more the norm. Check with Chris at Uguide Pheasant Hunts on this site. He specializes in self-guided hunts. Also check the directory on this site for other SD outfitters and do some calling. For what you are willing to pay you should be able to find something. One other problem you may run into is having only 2 hunters. Most cater to groups of 6 or more. Good luck.

I paid $150/day last year at three private sites, hence the guestimate at that rate. Two were in the Winner area one west of Chamberlain. There's one near Miller - last I heard he is at $140 and includes lodging.

As "Zeb" indicated, call and contact as many as you can; due diligence pays off...

Contact Dennis at " Aberdeen Pheasants" - a fine fellow and provides great hunting!

Last edited:
I paid $150/day last year at three private sites, hence the guestimate at that rate. Two were in the Winner area one west of Chamberlain. There's one near Miller - last I heard he is at $140 and includes lodging.

As "Zeb" indicated, call and contact as many as you can; due diligence pays off...

Contact Dennis at " Aberdeen Pheasants" - a fine fellow and provides great hunting!

I didn't mean those places and prices are not out there. Just that $150/day is as cheap as you are probably going to find. A guy I know is now up to $375/day just to hunt his land and he's booked full. I don't like it myself but it's the old law of "Supply and Demand". As long as the demand is there and the people are willing to pay the price they are taking full advantage of it.

I agree with you regarding Dennis at aberdeenpheasants.com but he is booked the first 4 weeks of the season.

Back