season check up how is your season going?

Remtech

My season has been going well I am shooting the best I have in years. I have achieved my goal of trying new spots. My dog has also had a good year so. Today I hunted I got one wild one and then one of public and saw another one on the way back to the car. It just been a great year.

Remtech

I've had a really good fall, too. Don't get to hunt pheasants up here, as there aren't any. But I grew up in Burlington, hunting pheasants until I went away north to school.

There have been decent grouse numbers and the woodcock season was good.

My annual Iowa trip was awesome. We shot limits and had a good time. Like you, as a group we shot really well. Even one of the guys who switched to left handed because he lost most of his sight in his right eye.

This past weekend I hunted grouse in the snow. Max did his job, pointed birds for me, but the buggers went out 3' off the ground, making for some tough shooting.

I feel bad for Max, my setter, as now he'll be home with ma while I am out deer hunting. He won't get much exercise for the next couple weeks.

It's been a good season for me, although most of it has been driving Tinker to school, and then walking around with my shotgun as she taught herself the lessons of pheasants in the field.

She and I have been out a lot during the week and only a couple of days on the weekends. Mick and I have brought home 5 birds altogether, and Tinker has been responsible for 11 others. There would have been more, but I missed a fair number with the single shot early on. :(

She loves it, of course, and has developed a chronic case of "bird dog bouncing" when I pick up a shotgun or take out the training collar.

Her range is extending a fair bit, but not too far.

We've had a lot of windy...real windy...days but she's using air scent as well as trailing and presenting nicely as a serious hunter. She doesn't clown around in the field at all.

We went out today, with 20 mph sustained and 35-40 mph gusts, and got nothing, but I knew that would happen. Tomorrow, the day before deer season, no shooting is allowed, so I just let the dog learn about hunting but not finding.

A good time. I have very old legs.

The pup has time.

Last edited:
Happy dog you have there Bill. Are you shooting wild birds out there or are these stocked.

Nick

Happy dog you have there Bill. Are you shooting wild birds out there or are these stocked.

Nick

This has been the slowest year on wild birds for me thus far. Only dropped 2 wild birds all year. Only found 2 others that flushed out of range and saw 6 wild hens for the season total.

Nick, few wild birds left around here the past 10 years. Those I know of, I leave alone to go reproduce if they can.

Storm's a'comin this weekend. Batten down your hatches.:thumbsup:

Yeah, this one might turn out to be a big one. They're saying up to a possible 11 inches out this way. I think higher amounts closer to the Wisconsin boarder.

Day before deer season

Kismet,

Too late to make a difference, but I think they changed the rule about hunting the day before deer season. I think it us now legal.

My dog and I are having a fun season. I have been out 9 times and the old dog has put up birds 8 of the 9 times. Once deer season is over I hope we can find time to squeeze in a few more trips. I attached a pic from a successful hunt last week.
Riley%202_zpsncsswfqe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1st time posting pics from photo bucket so I hope it works.

Last edited:
Just pheasant blood. She is sort if a rescue project, and has really come along well in last couple years. Often when she gets close to a bird that is in thick cover, she stops and points. Both these roosters were pointed, along with one hen and another rooster we jumped after our limit. Hope to get a day out with my son during the holidays!

I've taken 11 birds so far this season and hoping to get a few more before its all said and done. It's been a great season. Loved watching the dog work. Only had one day where I couldn't hit the back side of a barn due to the wind. I lost about 3 weeks because my dog stepped on a broken beer bottle in the parking lot. Then another week because I tried dog shoes and they gave him blisters on top of his toes and where his dew claws use to be.

I'll never put shoes on my dog ever again. They just aren't for my lab.

Back