SD Pheasant Opener!!! Who's heading back

Birddog23

Hello All

Just curious who's all heading back this weekend to SD for Pheasant Opener? I am leaving tomorrow night from Minneapolis, and I navigate down Hwy 60 through Mankato and into Worthington, then head West.

So maybe I'll see a few of you guys on the road heading back to SD. I'm driving a 2010 Chevy Silverado(Black). I'll probably have a hitch rack on the back with my Gunner Kennel on it, so I can roll down the tonneau cover to get better gas mileage. Dog will be in the back seat, although he'd rather ride in his kennel. So if you see a Gunner Kennel on the hitch rack of a black truck, NO, my dog is not in the kennel. I would never do that!!!! (Unfortunately the Gunner Kennel doesn't fit under the tonneau cover, even laid on it's side. And it doesn't fit in the back seat of the truck either.)

Takes me about 5 1/2 hours to get to our hunting grounds. Can't wait for that morning cup of coffee outside, watching that sunrise and listening to birds cackling!

EVERYONE BE SAFE THIS WEEKEND AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR DOGS!!!!!

PLENTY OF BREAKS AND WATER!!!!!

Hello All

Just curious who's all heading back this weekend to SD for Pheasant Opener? I am leaving tomorrow night from Minneapolis, and I navigate down Hwy 60 through Mankato and into Worthington, then head West.

So maybe I'll see a few of you guys on the road heading back to SD. I'm driving a 2010 Chevy Silverado(Black). I'll probably have a hitch rack on the back with my Gunner Kennel on it, so I can roll down the tonneau cover to get better gas mileage. Dog will be in the back seat, although he'd rather ride in his kennel. So if you see a Gunner Kennel on the hitch rack of a black truck, NO, my dog is not in the kennel. I would never do that!!!! (Unfortunately the Gunner Kennel doesn't fit under the tonneau cover, even laid on it's side. And it doesn't fit in the back seat of the truck either.)

Takes me about 5 1/2 hours to get to our hunting grounds. Can't wait for that morning cup of coffee outside, watching that sunrise and listening to birds cackling!

Good luck my crew will be our there on week 4. Save a couple for us

kennel on a hitch hauler

Hello All

what is wrong with transporting dogs this way?

But, since your asking! I guess I would never put my dog on the back of a hitch rack in it's kennel.

Absolutely too many knuckleheads out there driving while distracted, why would I put my best friend in danger of being rear ended??? No way in #$%@ would I ever do that

I think that's an easy one!

Heading back to Ashton/Redfield for 23rd year for me, 36th for my dad. Coming from central MN. Stopping in Fergus Falls for breakfast, top of the hill in Summit for the view and a stretch then on to Ashton to unpack. Will be in a white GMC 2500 diesel with our yellow lab who will be going back to see his kin.

Will be at Mellette American Legion Friday night for 50 gun raffle (1 gun per 10 tickets, $100 each). That event has become our opening party and is well worth the $100 since dinner and open bar pretty much come close to that anyway. Over the last 5 years I've won a Remington auto, jacket, vest, boots, knife, hundreds of shells, game cam, hats, gloves, dog food- at least $1000 worth.

I'm heading back for the 9th time of my 10 year hunting career. I'm leaving Friday morning from the great state of Missouri. I'll be stuffing my face at the Fedora Volunteer Fire Fighters Breakfast and then let the walking begin. Can't wait to see that great state!

Heading back to SD again, 13th year in a row, making the trip all the way from Las Vegas. I wouldn't miss it. First few weeks of November, let all the early guys get in and get out and things settle down a little.

The dog is as ready to go as I am!!

Sounds Great Guys!!!!!

I was born and raised in SD, moved to MN after college, but I will always be a country boy from Good Old SD.

Maybe in a couple years, my family will move back!!!!

I love getting back to SD, fresh air, peace & quiet, the smell of the country, Friends/Family, and watching my dog work!!!

Smell of gunpowder in the air!!!!!! Awwwwwww

I will be heading out for my 23rd year next Tuesday night with my group of 4 guys. Going to be hunting a mixture of public and private if all goes to plan! Even with bad reports this is still the one vacation I look forward to every year!!

hitting the road for 15th time, at 6am will hit Mitchell at 9 am on Friday then on to camp, looking forward to seeing the rest of the guys at camp.

Pouring concrete at the new shop in Garretson tomorrow. Heading west to 281 corridor on Friday. Not hunting myself for the weekend but fishing at the cabin in Chamberlain on Sunday thru Wednesday. Wind looks rotten . :(

Heading north for my 10th trip early Friday morning. I'm confident a good time will be had by all, regardless of the bird numbers. This trip will be bittersweet as it will likely be the last with my 11 year old lab. Whether he's picking up ducks, geese, quail or pheasants he has absolutely loved it all. Some of our best memories have been made in South Dakota and I can't wait to get up there to make a couple more!

Well I'm heading out there for the first time this year. I have hunted pheasants in Wisconsin all my life and could probably count on one hand the number of wild birds I've shot. I've got a real good four year old English Setter right now that I am bringing out for 5 days the second week of November. I'm sure you will see my posting asking for a little bit of guidance for a newbie. Good luck to everybody and stay safe.

I will be heading up on the 30th to hunt first week of November from Kansas. Great time will be had by all my crew, I am sure. Excited to see my 18 month old lab work again, he did good as a 6 month old last year. Love this time of year!

Yah, that sucks man. I had the same thing 3 years ago with my Female Lab. Lost her 2 years ago.

Her name was Dakota and she was a wonderful dog! Miss her so much.

Heading north for my 10th trip early Friday morning. I'm confident a good time will be had by all, regardless of the bird numbers. This trip will be bittersweet as it will likely be the last with my 11 year old lab. Whether he's picking up ducks, geese, quail or pheasants he has absolutely loved it all. Some of our best memories have been made in South Dakota and I can't wait to get up there to make a couple more!

wow, you should be a great barometer of what the bird pop. is like......keep us posted on how it goes.........TY
I am going to s/o SD this season.

Leaving here November 10 to head out. Get there the 11th. Look forward to hearing reports between now and then. Good luck to all this year!

Back