sd bird report

Brad Lhotak

Went to lodge sw of aberdeen yesterday and seen lots of birds. May not be last year but still going to be good. Lots of young birds.

Good to hear. It will be interesting once corn starts coming out. Did you see any corn being harvested or already harvested?

Yes some corn is coming out mabe ten to fifteen percent

Brad, the town your from sounds familiar-whats the town between Brookings and Arlington with the big grain mills and railroad tracks-are you just North of there?

Yes but I guide by aberdeen

Yes, Volga is the little town we pass through after stopping at Wally in Brookings to get our licenses. Thanks CRP. Brad, I'm pretty sure a couple of the farms we get permission to hunt on are close to Bruce but we have never actually gone through a town with that name that I recall. Is there a tavern or bar there? If you see a gray Silverado P/U with cap and Wisconsin plates with 2 guys in the front, flag us down and I'll buy you a cold 1. Best wishes.:cheers:

Platte area

Just got my copy of the Platte Enterprise newspaper and there is an article on the pheasant season in which the local conservation officer said his local routes on the pheasant survey were down 1/3 from last year. HUM does that mean when we flushed 200 birds from my CRP last year that we will ONLY flush 132 this year---damm thats a problem---NOT:D:D:D:thumbsup:

Last edited:
good luck to every one in south dakota. hope you all have a great day and a safe hunt. ps please scare some birds into iowa we need all the help we can get

Coming out for the first time to SD on the 9th of november from Pennsylvania. Im 45 and have hunted since i was 12. Probably only flushed 132 birds in my life, usually all singles and definitly all stocked birds. If i were to flush one hundred birds on our three day hunt let alone in one field I will have think I've died and gone to heaven.

The information sounds promising. We're heading back to the Aberdeen area on Nov 4th for the a week. Can't wait to get away from the grind and get into some birds.

Has anyone had any experience with the Walk-in Areas just NW of Aberdeen? It looks like there are a bunch of them up there.

This is only our second year out there. No matter what happens, I'm so looking forward to this. I'm bringing my 12 and 15 year old on their first SD hunt. The closer it gets the more I think I'm going to have to tie them down!

Any help is appreciated.

There are some large walkin areas NW of Aberdeen up in the hills. You can see the hill line from a distance. Looks good on a map, but they are areas of several continuous sections of land with grass 6" high. good for sharpies, maybe, but doesn't look like good pheasant ground to me. I hunted near Leola in '06 and comparing that years atlas to this year's looks like a lot of ground was taken out of CRP there. On that trip we hunted roads and walkin areas. Worked hard for our birds, but shot limits. I would go back there again.

Thanks. We'll take a day or two and see how it works out. Appreciate the help.

Ric

Back