Sandhills and SW report

N8on

Went out to western NE for the muzzy deer hunt, and did quite well the first day.
View attachment 8870

My buddy still had a tag but day 2 I chased pheasants in the afternoon. Pheasants numbers weren't as high in the public areas as years past, but still managed to bag a limit. There were high populations of birds on the private areas, but one area was leased and the other "fed them and liked to look at them." Saw a few chickens, but they were wild and I couldn't have shot them with a rifle.

View attachment 8871

My buddy only had two days to hunt so I moved to the SW corner of NE to check on some areas I had hunted previously. I only hunted until about 11:30a.m. as I had some family obligations. There was a lot of heavy snow, and the CRP fields were blankets of white sheets. To be honest I am not sure how the birds survive in that area. I think the only saving grace is that there is still some standing corn. I walked a few cedar tree lines and manage one rooster and two quail. Most of the areas I walked already had footprints, but there was also a lot of pheasant sign. Saw quite a few hunters out and about as well.

Very nice buck especially considering they have been hunted for almost 3 months now! I just talked to a buddy who come's up to Montana elk hunting on ground I have, he said a few of them went out bird hunting last Sunday, came home with 15 roosters and a dozen quail, I may be taking my pups down that way after the holidays.

There are not birds everywhere, but there are birds. I have been in NE for a few years and learned a little each year. I spent a lot of time my first year exploring an area that looked awesome, but just did not hold birds. I think I shot one bird all year. I found out I was just in the wrong area. I needed to go an hour away to find them. Like other places, if you aren't finding birds move. They are there if you are willing to work for them.

There are not birds everywhere, but there are birds. I have been in NE for a few years and learned a little each year. I spent a lot of time my first year exploring an area that looked awesome, but just did not hold birds. I think I shot one bird all year. I found out I was just in the wrong area. I needed to go an hour away to find them. Like other places, if you aren't finding birds move. They are there if you are willing to work for them.

a willingness and understanding to move has been really important to success this year.....through the entire pheasant range. hard to do when you make an early reservation and expect to be in a 25 mile radius of decent hunting...canceling and finding new lodging can be a pain in the ass and costly....seems to be the new norm now, like fishing, keep the damn boat moving until you get into 'em!

Back