S.d. "predator control" program

I am curious as to why you feel this is a BAD program. I might be naive, and my math might be wrong, so please correct me if i am. $500,000 cap to the program and $10 per predator trapped. That would mean 500,000/10 = 50,000 predators removed. IF each predator would have destroyed even only 1 nest, and IF each nest had 10 eggs, then we would be preserving 500,000 birds, or $1.00 per bird. I would contribute to that. I do wish the Fox was not on the list, however.

Just my initial thoughts without a lot of research.

Predator control is one key element along with habitat, weather, food, etc... Fur prices are low few people trap these days or predator hunt the egg eating varmints. I think it is a great idea myself. I live in IL and we trap and hunt the varmints for our quail, ducks, and turkeys, it makes a difference.

Attention pheasant hunters - newsflash.
This is a pathetic, ill advised, non scientific, knee jerk, moronic idea. One that has been implemented. Massive waste of dollars to boot. Too bad for South Dakota............

https://gfp.sd.gov/bounty-program/

Your comment is (May I paraphrase)???

A pathetic-ill advised-non-scientific-knee jerk reaction-moronic-response too and effort to reduce predation on game birds -
Maybe you could give us a properly -non pathetic -scientific -none moronic-explanation on how a dead—coyote-fox-raccoon-
Skunk -is not a benefit to game birds

Back to your PETA CHAPTER NOW

Do you even consider how little $500,000 is compared to what hunters contribute to the economy??

I think this is great and the side benefit is they get the Skunks, racoons and badgers out that have been bad on the dogs, I now carry several quarts of skunk off had two sprayed last year alone. Don't see to many fox but have shot a lot of skunks and racoons the past few years. Have had two dogs go down because of hidden badger holes. If they save a few nest so much the better

Plain to see the writing on the wall on this website.
This Person {who} Eats Tasty Animals will tap out.
Birdhunters who feel sorry for themselves because their dogs step in badger holes and get sprayed by skunks.
Egg eating predators - OMG.
How it's done in the hunting paradise of Illinois.
Dave whoever assuming one is a PETA member if one calls bullshit on poor wildlife management techniques (using that term very lightly). You been hunting over 40 years Dave? Maybe I'll just assume that you're not that intelligent just by seeing a singular post of your's on a website - returning a favor.........
Good questions boondog. Do some research on the efficacy of predator control as it relates to mostly wild upland game bird populations. SD has a ton of wild birds. Released birds are largely worthless anyway - no loss.
Lotta public $$ will be wasted on this one. Coulda' gone towards hunting access, habitat improvement and acquisition, education, etc. etc. etc.
Simple minded solution for simple minds.
Reference the revered PF website: https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habitat/Pheasant-Facts/Effects-of-Predators.aspx
Good luck gentlemen...............

Last edited:
Plain to see the writing on the wall on this website.
This Person {who} Eats Tasty Animals will tap out.
Birdhunters who feel sorry for themselves because their dogs step in badger holes and get sprayed by skunks.
Egg eating predators - OMG.
How it's done in the hunting paradise of Illinois.
Dave whoever assuming one is a PETA member if one calls bullshit on poor wildlife management techniques (using that term very lightly). You been hunting over 40 years Dave? Maybe I'll just assume that you're not that intelligent just by seeing a singular post of your's on a website - returning a favor.........
Good questions boondog. Do some research on the efficacy of predator control as it relates to mostly wild upland game bird populations. SD has a ton of wild birds. Released birds are largely worthless anyway - no loss.
Lotta public $$ will be wasted on this one. Coulda' gone towards hunting access, habitat improvement and acquisition, education, etc. etc. etc.
Simple minded solution for simple minds.
Reference the revered PF website: https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habitat/Pheasant-Facts/Effects-of-Predators.aspx
Good luck gentlemen...............[/QUOTE

Typical losers response—when having nothing of value to say—RESORT TO NAME CALLING����

We may be should not been so hard on you—especially being from the great hunting state if Illinois-I’m sure S.D. Would be thrilled with your expertise on wildlife management-

So calm down now—take your meds. and go back downstairs—

"Typical losers response—when having nothing of value to say—RESORT TO NAME CALLING����

We may be should not been so hard on you—especially being from the great hunting state if Illinois-I’m sure S.D. Would be thrilled with your expertise on wildlife management-

So calm down now—take your meds. and go back downstairs
—"

Classy stuff dave.
I start a thread regarding serious issues about PHEASANT management, with sportsmen's concerns first and foremost. You accuse me of being a PETA member.
Reading comprehension, man. Never said I was from IL, look at post #3....
Name calling? I merely suggested I may make an assumption - just as you did. Your response? "typical LOSER response".
Where's your input on the actual issue?
I've worked in the public arena for hunters and anglers for over three decades. Your kinda' BS is cheap, easy, and plentiful. Guy's like you aren't hard on anyone but yourselves - and other outdoorsmen.
Hopefully there are a few more level heads on this site that just choose not to pipe up.
If not, oh well..................

Well said, Termo. My initial reason for replying was to hear from you what the results have been with trying a program like this in the past that lead you to have strong feelings against it. Nowadays, $500,000 doesn't buy a whole lot of land, although it is a one time purchase rather than an ongoing program like the predator program. Seems to me that $1.00 per bird, is cheaper than buying raised birds and releasing them knowing many don't make it.

Too bad there can't be more level headed discussions rather than vitriol.

From my reading on this initiative, in addition to the $500,000 in bounties, $900,000 in live traps have been made available to the the public. Bringing the price tag to +/- $1.5 mil.
https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...sition-questions-pheasant-hunting/3366306002/.

"Live Traps"...wonder if this type trap is specified for all the critters listed? Approaching a skunk in a live trap could be interesting.

I tried trapping a very large family of chipmunks, using a live trap; not good, they were able to set off the trap, steal the food and scamper off. Best method was a large rat trap and peanut butter.

Have other states implemented a similar plan and what were their results? Iowa? North Dakota? Kansas?

"Live Traps"...wonder if this type trap is specified for all the critters listed? Approaching a skunk in a live trap could be interesting.

Caught that, did ya? The folks actually behind this idea have likely done very little "live trapping".
Nor are they probably very skilled at differentiating between "trapped" varmint tails vs. roadkilled..........................

I have a rope tied to the trap, I put tarp over the opening of the culvert so as I pull the trap out of the culvert the tarp covers the trap.

I guess it is a good idea, but knowing human nature there will be a LOT of cheating, like have family or friendsin other states killing varmits and brinh them acrosd state ines for the $10.00 bounty.

Back