Rusty colored Urine.

Took my dog out today for a big day. Started off the morning with an early duck hunt till about 9:30. Then went home and switched everything and went pheasant hunting till about 2:30 ish. Through out the day I had been giving her water and she would only drink occasionally. When we got home I got ready for church and left leaving her in my parents garage for a little over an hour. When we got home, I found a very large puddle of what I assume was her Urine. The puddle was a rusty color so it caused some concern. I was surprised by the color and the amount. Like I said earlier, I had been making sure she had water through out the day. Can anyone explain this? Dehydrated? If so, why such a large amount? Over worked? She is acting normal, maybe just a little tired. Do I need to be concerned?

If the puddle was large it likely isn’t dehydration. Is she eating? Does she seem lethargic? If so, get her to the vet.
Also Keep a close eye for swelling in her abdomen which could indicate internal bleeding.

I had this happen to one of my Brittanys several years ago. Rusty or reddish colored urine is very likely the result the dog over exerting her self. I forget the term for it but it's caused by a break down of something in the muscles and then flushed out of their system in the urine. It's something to keep your eye on but generally is not anything serious. Watch her urine for the next day or so I bet it clears up. I would have never seen it with my dog except for there being snow on the ground at the time. I'll see if I can find something more on the internet about it.

I found it.

exertional myoglobinuria: myoglobin is an oxygen bearing iron based pigment found in muscle tissue. It's what makes red meat red. Under extreme exercise muscle cells can become injured and "leak" myoglobin which is then excreted in the urine leading to a very darkened color. This phenomenon has been described in dogs undergoing sustained muscular exertion.

Back