Rosebud Tribal Land Winner SD

Hello guys,

Planning a trip for my son and I to celebrate his high school graduation. Two years ago we hunted some farm land in the Doland area which was great hunting. However the farmer has a minimum hunter quantity of 6. I saw a post online for a gentleman offering hunts on the Rosebud Tribal Land for a decent price. We plan on bringing our lab and just doing out own guiding/exploring. Its a 25 hour haul from the east so doing some scouting preseason is almost impossible. Our plan is to stay a week. Just looking for some honest input, and options that just a couple hunters may have. Even thought about just hitting public land for the week.

Thank you in advance

Best advice right now would be to find accommodations in multiple parts of the state and then be flexible based on the roadside count results. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt public land. With some scouting and being observant can have good success. Also road ditches can be a pair of hunters savior. Depending on time of year may even be able to knock on a door or two and get some permission. Good luck.

Best advice right now would be to find accommodations in multiple parts of the state and then be flexible based on the roadside count results. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt public land. With some scouting and being observant can have good success. Also road ditches can be a pair of hunters savior. Depending on time of year may even be able to knock on a door or two and get some permission. Good luck.
assuming the roadside reports are after nesting season?

assuming the roadside reports are after nesting season?

Yes gives a picture of how the hatch compares to previous years. It is not the end all be all but shows trends and gives us the first glimpse of what bird numbers look like. Keep in mind it’s not perfect. Another option you may want to consider for your trip is finding a farmer that takes hunters for a trespass fee even if for just a day of your trip.

Rosebud Tribal lands require a guide service for non members.. Other than that, Ive never hunted that way, so cannot help much.

I would do your research of the data provided as mentioned above then look at the online public land atlas and pick areas with public in the area. Being mobile helps if you are not finding birds or crops are not in. I've done this with my son and part of the adventure is finding new places to hunt. We have always hunted public lands from early November to late December and have either limited or had our chance to limit. Not sure that it matters but i keep track of how we do on any given parcel of land, I often hunt similar areas annually, so I do have some idea what to expect and if a cover has been burned or hayed I can quickly look for another parcel to hunt in the area.

Back