Retrieves everything except birds...

For whatever reason, my youngest setter, Larry, won't bring back pheasants. He's more than happy to brings back balls, toys, socks, etc.. Literally anything I throw for him he'll bring back. When we're out hunting he finds dead birds and pins cripples, but then he decides it is time to pull feathers rather than bringing back the birds. Outside of force fetching, what can be done...? I have another setter, Mary, who retrieves pheasants like nobodies business, sometimes I wonder if hunting them together made Larry think it wasn't his job to also bring back birds? The plan is to work with a dummy with pheasant wings taped to it all summer and get him used to the feathers in his mouth? Not sure if that's the answer. I've been told force fetching this late (he's almost 2) can kill bird drive if done incorrectly.. I don't know of anyone in the area who I'd really trust to do it. Larry is so rock solid on point it's just the retrieving we're missing.

For whatever reason, my youngest setter, Larry, won't bring back pheasants. He's more than happy to brings back balls, toys, socks, etc.. Literally anything I throw for him he'll bring back. When we're out hunting he finds dead birds and pins cripples, but then he decides it is time to pull feathers rather than bringing back the birds. Outside of force fetching, what can be done...? I have another setter, Mary, who retrieves pheasants like nobodies business, sometimes I wonder if hunting them together made Larry think it wasn't his job to also bring back birds? The plan is to work with a dummy with pheasant wings taped to it all summer and get him used to the feathers in his mouth? Not sure if that's the answer. I've been told force fetching this late (he's almost 2) can kill bird drive if done incorrectly.. I don't know of anyone in the area who I'd really trust to do it. Larry is so rock solid on point it's just the retrieving we're missing.
Maybe try hiding the ball out of sight during the play sessions....make him/them whoa while you hide it. Change it up a bit by putting the ball off the ground in a low tree branch, bumper of a car etc, and then let the two dogs compete for finding it.
You can then progress to bundled up birdwings...
I had a youngish female wirehair that wouldn't retrieve at all in the field....I kept on the above program and am pleased as punch thats she's retrieving fantasic now..winged roosters don't stand a chance as she's an absolute rocket...

Years ago I hunted a very good retrieving dog with a new dog. The older dog would take the birds away from her and thus she learned she didn't need to retrieve. Big mistake on my part. I'd try hunting them separate and see if that makes a difference. Opposite of your dog, I had one that would not retrieve a ball, a retrieving dummy or anything but was one of the best, soft mouth, retrievers of pheasants I ever had. Go figure.

Lots of time in the field with dead birds and dummies with bird skins on them. Is the dog collar conditioned? My dog gets a bit wonky sometimes and tries to play with the bird, after force fetching i am now to the point where one quick nick and he picks it right up and that rarely has to be done more than once per session. I dont think you need to fully force fetch a setter, just reinforce that you want him to fetch the birds. Use stim for corrections, starting with vib, and spend this off season really honing it.. but only after what i am going to say next.

Also, the oldest trick in the book... Run away when the dog stops to play. Best to practice this at home so you dont look like a fool in the field lol. But yes, run or turn and walk away until the dog picks it up and brings it to you. If the dog leaves it, walk the dog back to the bird and repeat. Reward when done right, make bringing it to you more rewarding than playing with it is. Reward with food or praise, whichever the dog wants.

Has the pup had an actual pheasant or bird in its mouth before? Hopefully not a silly question. Maybe if you have a game farm nearby, after she pins one after the shot, pick it up and dangle that bird and present it like the greatest thing in the world. Once they pick it up, let them carry it around and get used to it in their mouth with lots of praise. If it gets ripped up a bit that’s ok.Then give here command and get it back and then even more praise cause they technically retrieved.Just keep encouraging it and building that dog up. Do this with just that dog solo obviously. I use wings strapped on bumpers too but no replacement for an actual bird on the excitement of a hunt to get them to really want to retrieve. Especially one they found, watched it get shot, marked, etc. Sounds like the dog loves to retrieve just hasn’t quite made the connection with birds yet.

Just an idea, hopefully it helps. I struggled a bit with this too early this fall.

Last edited:
Good ideas above. Adding another. I bought an adult female with the same issue as you have. She would retrieve a ball or bumper all day but not a pheasant. Then I took her quail hunting and she would grab them and bring them straight back. Shortly after she started retrieving pheasants. I think she just had some mental hangup about the size of the bird when everything was so stimulating because of the hunting scenario. You could try shooting some quail over your dog solo with out the other dog present and see how it does.

Back