Retired Air Force, never, ever, ever been to South Dakota

retrvrman

Howdy all,
well here goes. I have been on the UPH for a while now. I mainly stay on the Colorado (I live in Colorado Springs) or Kansas sites. I am retired Air Force. I have been hunting wild pheasant since 1996. I got my first ever opportunity to hunt pheasant in Kansas back in 1996. I hunt with labs, well trained. I was born and raised in/and around Dallas, TX. However I joined the military right after high school.

Now over the years I have met dozens of guys from South Dakota in the mlitary and I have tried and tried to possible tag along on a hunt. Unfortunately the high ops tempo of the Air force always seem to hit about the same time hunting season, go figure :eek:

Now that I am retired from active duty I would love to make it up there, however I am 100% gunshy of coming up there spending alot of $$$ not having any clue of where to go, don't know anyone, and all the visions of the birds I have heard and seen on TV are just pipe dreams.

I realize that it may be too late for this season, however I was hoping maybe for next season I might be able to get some good advice and assistance from someone.

I am also hoping that my 12yr old son Colton can get his first pheasant this year. I took him out for the first time last year. He is ready to go for this season already.

Meanwhile I will hunt here in Colorado and I will still head down to Kansas.

I appreciate it, take care and god bless,

Greg

Last edited:
Making a trip to South Dakota, or any other state, for the first time does require quite a bit of planning. Obviously you are not the first person in this situation on this site. I think if you do some searching of older posts in the South Dakota forum you will be able to find some valuable information. Also do some looking around the SD Game, Fish & Parks web site. You will find maps showing bird densities and also number of hunters. Also get a copy of the SD Hunting Atlas that shows all public lands. I would suggest coming around mid-November and hunting public lands. It would be your least expensive alternative. You'll get birds, just have to work a little harder for them. Best of luck to you and I wish you and your son a successful hunt whenever you do decide to come.

Making a trip to South Dakota, or any other state, for the first time does require quite a bit of planning. Obviously you are not the first person in this situation on this site. I think if you do some searching of older posts in the South Dakota forum you will be able to find some valuable information. Also do some looking around the SD Game, Fish & Parks web site. You will find maps showing bird densities and also number of hunters. Also get a copy of the SD Hunting Atlas that shows all public lands. I would suggest coming around mid-November and hunting public lands. It would be your least expensive alternative. You'll get birds, just have to work a little harder for them. Best of luck to you and I wish you and your son a successful hunt whenever you do decide to come.

I appreciate your advice as well as others who sent me a PM. I am very suprised that folks replied. I am not naive to think I am not the first and that alot of folks are very wary of guys who post things on the UPH like I did. I totally respect that. I did get the SD atlas but my gosh it it like reading the manual for my new TV or smart phone. I don't know where to begin because it is so overwhelming. I guess that is my main thing, it is all so overwhelming. i went to the SD fish and game and I have researched quite a bit on-line. HOwever since i have never, ever, ever been there (wish I had gotten stationed at Grand Forks :D ) however the Air Force sent me to other hunting and fishing destinations like Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, AK and here and OK and other places in between and oveseas.

However thanks for all y'alls help. Take care, good luck this season and god bless...

Greg

If you hunted pheasants in KS, SD is not that big of a changeup. I think that SD has more potholes and that provides a lot of cattails where pheasants like to seek refuge, no hunting until 10:00 AM, but the rest is the same.

Pick the pheasant density in combination with public land availability and the road side counts.

As long as the crops are in or in the process of harvest activity the birds will concentrate a little more in the CRP cover. Remember to use no tox, on state land, private land is OK to use lead.
If you go in Nov. most of the hunters will be doing something else and you should have lots of places to hunt.

Even a bad year in SD is better than KS or CO.

Enjoy the time spent with your son,

Barna

Hmmm - I see you are from Dallas - Have a family friend who is a retired Air Force Col. - Robert Moody. His son Chip was a newscaster in Texas for quite a while.

He and his family spent time in Unityville each summer for years. Long shot but thought maybe you might know of him.

And if you haven't been to South Dakota to hunt, now might just be the time.

Paul
www.skoglundfarm.com

agree. hunter numbers will be down some, due to the economy more so than the numbers of birds. people don't shy away much when it comes to the numbers because its about getting away more than how many you get. time with friends and family is a lot of fun. My first year in sd was back in the mid 90's. we waited and went out in early december. we drove a lot, hunted on some public ground and knocked on a lot of doors. year 1 we got permission and the 2 of us drove home with our 3 day limit of birds. start small, 2-3 guys and you will find that you can get on land. that time of year can be a gamble, but even with some snow and cold, you will find your birds and you will get your birds. sc to nc sd is where i would start. start in the south and push up to pierre or mobridge. best of luck to ya.

Hmmm - I see you are from Dallas - Have a family friend who is a retired Air Force Col. - Robert Moody. His son Chip was a newscaster in Texas for quite a while.

He and his family spent time in Unityville each summer for years. Long shot but thought maybe you might know of him.

And if you haven't been to South Dakota to hunt, now might just be the time.

Paul
www.skoglundfarm.com
Yeah, born and raised in Garland, TX. Joined the air force right out of high school. I remember Chip Moody, newscaster for a long time on channel 11 or 4. I don't know him personally. Thanks,

Greg

Back