Remington Versa-Max

onpoint

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/shotguns/2011/01/remington-versa-max?page=0,2

"Gun Test: Remington Versa Max
Big Green looks to the future with an ingenious and versatile 3 1/2-inch autoloader.
Article by John B. Snow . Uploaded on January 11, 2011

Torture Test
But does it work? I went to Argentina with Remington executives and a small group of outdoor writers for the unveiling of the Versa Max in a public forum last summer. The guys from Remington were understandably anxious. High-volume bird shooting is the most rigorous proving ground for any field gun.

The Remington officials got a dose of bad news when we arrived in country: The shipping container with all our Remington shotgun shells was held up in customs. Except for the handful of boxes we toted in our luggage of Remington’s new Hypersonic steel waterfowl load (another innovative product I’ll write about in an upcoming issue), our guns were going to have to run on the locally made—and notoriously unreliable—shotgun shells.
With swarms of noble-looking wood pigeons circling overhead some days and endless waves of doves flying past on others, we proceeded to put thousands of rounds through our guns. (We also snuck in a couple of sessions of waterfowling with the steel shot.)

One afternoon, while shooting by a roosting area, my shotgun digested 93 boxes of shells. This stuff was about the dirtiest ammo I had ever seen. At one point my shotgun caught fire due to the build-up of unburned powder caking on the inside of the chamber. The gun was so hot that when I opened the action to load more shells, the combination of oxygen, heat and volatile gunky residue ignited, and flames spurted out of the action like a signal flare. Once the conflagration died down, I gave the gun a quick once-over, deemed it fit for action and kept shooting. It’s worth noting that the tiny gas ports in the chamber never fouled during the trip.

Given the abusive circumstances, the guns performed amazingly well. The small number of misfeeds experienced seemed dependent on the given lot of ammo we shot. We also had some light primer strikes, which was probably due to both the ammo and the prototype bolt heads in our guns. I doubt either will be an issue going forward."

A private test going on, on another site has went flawless. The gun performed all season without a single failure. Even cycling 7/8oz cheap promo target loads without a single hiccup.

"my shotgun digested 93 boxes of shells. This stuff was about the dirtiest ammo I had ever seen. At one point my shotgun caught fire due to the build-up of unburned powder caking on the inside of the chamber."

Caught fire...LMAO that's a serous test. 93 boxes of shells in a day. WOW!

179617_199582646722534_100000124012897_828492_7769980_n.jpg

179600_199582710055861_100000124012897_828495_4508359_n.jpg

They say the action works very smooth and the bolt is near identical to the Benelli, less the recoiling spring of the bolt head

Last edited:
Onpoint,
Do you have one of these rem's? if so what is your thoughts on this gun?

93 Boxes of shells, thats 2325 shots.:eek: The recoil must be great to shoot that much in a day.:)

Wasn't this the latest Remington recall gun? I think I'd like to see Remington deliver a product that is market ready for a change before I jump on the wagon. This from a former 870, 1100 12ga, 1100 LT20 diehard.

Just an FYI, there is a very good review on this gun at shotgunworld.com. It is under the Remington forum. So far the users are very happy with its performance. Bear in mind, the reviews are coming from the actual owners, and not the "I know someone who has one" group you so often see on these internet forums. I own one as well, but due to winter, I have not had much of an opportunity to use it. What little testing that I have done, the gun has performed as promised. It has cycled all loads perfectly. I have even used a combination of light Walmart Federal target loads mixed in with 3.5 inch premium loads, the gun worked fine. It does seem a tad front heavy, but not too bad. It shoulders much like the 870 Wingmaster. The quality appears to be fine at this point, but time will tell I guess. If it holds true, Remington may have a long awaited winner. I have the Mossy Oak Duck Blind, got one sweet deal on it and I don't even duck/goose hunt.:)

Wasn't this the latest Remington recall gun? I think I'd like to see Remington deliver a product that is market ready for a change before I jump on the wagon. This from a former 870, 1100 12ga, 1100 LT20 diehard.

The first guns produced had a issue with the trigger group. It has since been addressed. Of those that have purchased the gun, i have not read of any negative reports.

In comparing the Versa-Max with the Benelli Vinci and the Browning Maxus, I see that the Versa-Max is a half to one pound heavier. Probably doesn't matter to most but might be an issue to some. Especially for upland hunting.

Why not just buy the SBE2 or the maxus, i have both and they have worked flawlessly in some really bad weather this year. Remington can keep that boat anchor Benelli wantabe

I sure would like to see Remington have a success. As far as being a "Benelli Wannabe", I see the Remington is a gas action, a technology they mastered originally in the 1100, not a recoil action. Remington is an american company, with a rich history,which still means something to me. I might return to Remington as a customer, I seem to be immune to the Benelli magic, though I do own some Franchi's which Benelli owns now.

Back