Remington 2014

roscoe71

WOW! i was just tooling around at pics from 2014 shotshow, they showed the new remington r51 single stack 9mm, (wich im in love with) so i got on remmys web site and found two new left handed versamax guns, a wood versamax, and my favorites the american classic 870 and 1100, absolutly beautiful guns, and it said there is more to come,,,,, hmmmmm maybey remington is going to give me the 870 american classic in a lefty? same with the 1100, i really dont think so but wishful thinking,, anyway 2014 looks good for the green team. i will own the r51 and the classic 870:cheers:

its nice to see that stuff but can you actually buy one? demand typically out strips supplies. Not trying to burst any ones bubble

from what i understand remmy is going to do a pretty good run of the classic edition guns this year, heck they put out alot more of the 50th anniversary 1100 guns than i thought they would, still plenty of those floating around and their price tag is coming down, scheels here in des moines sold one for 1399.00. im gonna jump on that 870 as soon as they are avalible. i hope they do a 20 gauge.

I tried to buy a Rem. Mod 58 because my friend had one I liked. After I made the order I found that Rem. had discontinued that model but I could buy the Mod 1100 that was its replacement. I didn't like its looks as much as the 58 or the fact you couldn't just twist a knob on the magazine cap to go from high to low base like on the 58 but I bought it anyway. I've had a long and very happy relationship with my 1100 that I think I bought in 1963. Now that I know they're worth as much as $1,400 I'll treat it better. Actually, no I won't. Great gun.

personaly i think the 1100 is the greatest auto of all time and that includes the beretta al391, that new american classic 1100 is a TRUE example of the best of all time, the 12 gauge 1100 is still the softest shooting 12 gauge auto ive ever shot with the versamax maybey being alittle softer but it dosent have the beauty of the 1100. the ithaca 37/870 wingmaster/remington 1100 are in my eyes birdguns.

well, its an easy to clean, dependable gas system that if it does break 99% of the time its a 4.00 o-ring that needs replaced, it still to this day points and swings better than most auto's out there probley why they are still one of the most popular autos at any clay range or dove field. not to mention they are still a very soft shooting gun wich has been part of their sucsess on the clay range and so forth. i still see alot of them here in iowa out in the pheasant fields. they dont break very often but if they do its a cheap and easy to find parts for gun. not to mention they are easy to work on. my friends 1100 is just as reliable as my beretta al391 and it is a softer shooting 12 gauge than my beretta, and my beretta is a pain in the a$$ to take down and clean, that 1100? simple. im not in the market for a new auto but im going to jump on that american classic 870.

It's nice to see the SP_10 is back in production, the left handed Vera-Max and the Pro waterfowler.

I'll give them a pat on the back for the 1100 and 870 American Classic. I like guns with nice wood on them. These two guns have stood the test of time but they aren't IMO on the top of my list as have to have. 1100 isn't exactly known for dependability in function. They will last a long time and for those that except malfunction. They love them. If not, they wouldn't have been made for 50 plus years. I have known numerous 1100 owners in my life that I have witnessed their gun malfunction numerous times. Then when the subject comes up about gun's jamming. They say, my 1100 have never jammed..:eek::eek: I know, it's not just 1100 owners but they along with Benelli owners lead in this department. Every auto loader can and will fail from time to time. Why I shoot a O/U for the most part.

I on the other hand, don't like malfunctioning designs. The Versa-Max address's that issue. A very reliable gun but way to heavy for the pheasant fields. A great waterfowl gun though.

IMO, the most reliable auto loader ever made was and is still the Browning Auto 5.

Most reliable, best carrying auto loader in production today? IMO..the A400 Beretta or new A5 from Browning with the Vera-Max right there, just if it was a little lighter or at least more well balanced. All very reliable guns.

I have hunted with an 1100 or an 11-87 for 30 years, and I have a couple buddys that hunt with with these shotguns. In thirty years of hunting with these firearms I can only recall 1 or 2 jams and it was probably due to reloads not the gun. Only drawback that I can think of is they are a little on the heavy side but for me it helps with recoil and aiming. I can literally tear these guns apart and put them back together blindfolded, they have one of the easiest simplest designs ever made. I love the fact that they hold 5 shells instead of 2, why limit yourself one never knows when that 3rd 4th or 5th shell might be needed. I can think of more then one coyote that wises I was shooting a double barrel, nothing sweeter than a triple when hunting pheasants and quail. Not putting any of the other shotguns down just simply agree that the 1100,11-87 is one of thee best auto loading shotguns ever made.:10sign:

I have hunted with an 1100 or an 11-87 for 30 years, and I have a couple buddys that hunt with with these shotguns. In thirty years of hunting with these firearms I can only recall 1 or 2 jams and it was probably due to reloads not the gun. Only drawback that I can think of is they are a little on the heavy side but for me it helps with recoil and aiming. I can literally tear these guns apart and put them back together blindfolded, they have one of the easiest simplest designs ever made. I love the fact that they hold 5 shells instead of 2, why limit yourself one never knows when that 3rd 4th or 5th shell might be needed. I can think of more then one coyote that wises I was shooting a double barrel, nothing sweeter than a triple when hunting pheasants and quail. Not putting any of the other shotguns down just simply agree that the 1100,11-87 is one of thee best auto loading shotguns ever made.:10sign:

I rest my case. you simply don't hunt enough or shoot enough. I have had many 1100's and shot several for skeet when I was young working at the Minneapolis gun club. They will fail, with out fail. If you get what I'm saying. It's not that I have a beef or grind with the 1100 or 1187. It's just a fact.

I rest my case. you simply don't hunt enough or shoot enough. I have had many 1100's and shot several for skeet when I was young working at the Minneapolis gun club. They will fail, with out fail. If you get what I'm saying. It's not that I have a beef or grind with the 1100 or 1187. It's just a fact.

No disrespect intended but how do you know how much I hunt or shoot???? To the best of my knowledge there has never been nor will there ever be a shotgun that is guaranteed not to fail at some point even Benellis and Berettas will from time to time. Im just relating my experience with the 1100 and 1187 they are one of thee best auto shotguns ever made hands down.

With the current auto market it seems like a versamax sportsman is a pretty good deal.

I might have to pick one up. An 870 fit with a lot lighter recoil sounds good.

No disrespect intended but how do you know how much I hunt or shoot???? To the best of my knowledge there has never been nor will there ever be a shotgun that is guaranteed not to fail at some point even Benellis and Berettas will from time to time. Im just relating my experience with the 1100 and 1187 they are one of thee best auto shotguns ever made hands down.

As long as your happy with that, that's all that matters. Enjoy and carry them with pride.

As I said in my other post on this thread, I bought my 1100 50 years ago. When they first came out they had a machined ring that kept the slides in place on the magazine tube. Not a wire ring and not an O ring but a machined piece that is triangular in cross section. As a result there is no O ring to rot and break so the one weak link in the design, for me anyway, doesn't exist.
I have had it jam maybe 5 times in those 50 years and always because of poor maintenance on my part. The only part that has broken is the extractor and it did that twice in the time I've owned it. Cost the outrageous amount of $10 +/- to fix it and about 2 minutes of my time. I had an internal circlip come off a post in the action from the recoil of shooting 2 1/4 oz. turkey loads. I bent the clip tight again and have had no further trouble.
I've shot it so much that the rails the bolt rides on in the housing are razor sharp from wear and will cut you like a knife if you behave foolishly and it still works flawlessly. I can strip it down with a deck screw or a strong twig in a pinch and reassemble it with a rock and a quarter.
Is it the best shotgun made? Got me but I've never wanted to buy a different brand 12 ga. I've used it for every kind of bird but mostly ducks late in its career and shot my two Pintails with it yesterday. It isn't a given that it will break as stated by Onpoint.

In 30 years I have yet to see the neoprene gas seal fail. Still has the original and it still looks great! I guess I better change it now, probably jinxed myself. LOL!

Bullshirt, I don't think that O ring is a gas seal. The seal and piston are the two metal pieces that the O ring retains at the proper location on the magazine tube to receive gases from the port that is in the collar on the barrel that fits over the tube. W/o that ring the piston goes too far forward and blocks the port and you've got an automatic single shot. If it's 30 years old you've done better than most. It will cost you about $1 to replace it and be good for another 30.

As I said in my other post on this thread, I bought my 1100 50 years ago. When they first came out they had a machined ring that kept the slides in place on the magazine tube. Not a wire ring and not an O ring but a machined piece that is triangular in cross section. As a result there is no O ring to rot and break so the one weak link in the design, for me anyway, doesn't exist.
I have had it jam maybe 5 times in those 50 years and always because of poor maintenance on my part. The only part that has broken is the extractor and it did that twice in the time I've owned it. Cost the outrageous amount of $10 +/- to fix it and about 2 minutes of my time. I had an internal circlip come off a post in the action from the recoil of shooting 2 1/4 oz. turkey loads. I bent the clip tight again and have had no further trouble.
I've shot it so much that the rails the bolt rides on in the housing are razor sharp from wear and will cut you like a knife if you behave foolishly and it still works flawlessly. I can strip it down with a deck screw or a strong twig in a pinch and reassemble it with a rock and a quarter.
Is it the best shotgun made? Got me but I've never wanted to buy a different brand 12 ga. I've used it for every kind of bird but mostly ducks late in its career and shot my two Pintails with it yesterday. It isn't a given that it will break as stated by Onpoint.

50 years and 5 jams with a 1100 Remington? Try posting that statement over on Shotgun World and see what your response is. By now, you should have shot several hundred thousand rounds through it and I know by your statement. That just not the fact. The 1100 may be a fit to your amount of shooting but for those who shoot 10-50 or more cases of ammo a year. They are not in the running. Just go to any trap, skeet or sporting clays competition. I doubt you will see a single 1100 or 1187.

Again, as long as your happy, that's all that counts.

:)

Bullshirt, I don't think that O ring is a gas seal. The seal and piston are the two metal pieces that the O ring retains at the proper location on the magazine tube to receive gases from the port that is in the collar on the barrel that fits over the tube. W/o that ring the piston goes too far forward and blocks the port and you've got an automatic single shot. If it's 30 years old you've done better than most. It will cost you about $1 to replace it and be good for another 30.

I see! Thanks for setting me straight.

Calamari..... Did some research and everything that I have read refers to the O ring as a gas seal that seals the gas from going forward exerting all the gas in a rearward direction thus pushing the piston back resulting in cycling a shell.:)

Back