Raise out of state fees!!

We are definitely headed toward a leased access hunting model that is mostly affordable to people of means. It has absolutely nothing to do with the second amendment, which would already be gone if it was somehow reliant on hunter numbers (to say nothing of the fact that gun control measures rarely impact actual hunting weapons in any meaningful way). It also isn’t really the European model. It’s the natural endgame of a “free market” model in a country with nearly no sense of community, ecological responsibility, common good, or shared public ownership.

The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting BUT the gun grabbers political crony’s absolutely fear the will and voting power of hunters and are well aware that hunters are on all sides of the political spectrum right and left.

That awareness keeps them in check EVERY single time you here the anti gun politicians talking about gun control measures one of the first things out of their mouth is ... I’m paraphrasing “we aren’t going to affect hunters”.

The free market doesn’t allow the sale of game animals one does not own and the American hunting model which is codified in legal precedents asserts that the game animals are property of the state NOT the land owner. If you doubt this shoot a deer in front of a game warden in July and assert it was on your property so you can do as you please with it.

The land owners when faced with that fact then assert that by leasing they aren’t selling game they are selling access which is BS and everyone honest about it knows that.

I do agree it’s going to happen throughout the country it already has in much of it.

If you are young and love to hunt you better move to a state with lots of federal lands and fight like heck politically to keep the fed and state lands out of the private sectors hands.

Last edited:
I want to jump in on the stereotyping out of Staters.

Now I came here from Texas with Texas plates on my truck. I've got my six year old daughter with me for her first hunting season.

Me and my daughter got out to walk a corner near Ulysess this morning. When we get back to the truck and while I'm loading her and the dogs back up we are passed by a gentleman with Kansas plates. As he is passing me he proceeds to give me the finger. Since he had his hunter orange on I'm making the assumption he didn't appreciate my Texas tags. I then had to try and explain to my daughter what the gesture ment.

Now to why I come here from Texas. I was born and raised here in Kansas but joined the military and I am now stationed in Texas. I come home every year to hunt. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed in my home state this morning.

Now I came here from Texas with Texas plates on my truck. I've got my six year old daughter with me for her first hunting season.

Me and my daughter got out to walk a corner near Ulysess this morning. When we get back to the truck and while I'm loading her and the dogs back up we are passed by a gentleman with Kansas plates. As he is passing me he proceeds to give me the finger. Since he had his hunter orange on I'm making the assumption he didn't appreciate my Texas tags. I then had to try and explain to my daughter what the gesture ment.

Now to why I come here from Texas. I was born and raised here in Kansas but joined the military and I am now stationed in Texas. I come home every year to hunt. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed in my home state this morning.

You'll find dicks anywhere you go.

Last year I was sitting in my treestand on the opening morning of pheasant season. It was on some WIHA ground. About 8:00 2 trucks parked on the north end of the section and starting walking straight for me, with no idea I was in my stand. They walked to within 100 yds before they saw me climbing down then turned and walked back yelling at their dogs. They ruined my hunt when all they had to do was to drive around the section before before beginning their hunt. They would have seen my truck and saved both of us a terrible morning. I would have thought they would have seen my truck anyway. That is why I always drive around a section before beginning any hunt. Point being, today was the opening morning of deer season. So we are not sure why you got the finger without hearing both sides of the story. You may have accidentally ruined their hunt or they may have just been a bunch of jerks. Thank you for your service.

Sorry to hear that and thank you for your service. I'm a lifelong Kansan and have been hunting with my dad since I was a young kid. I'm disappointed to hear that you were treated that way. I made my first trip to South Dakota last weekend. The people could not have been any friendlier. Felt welcome wherever we went. I'd like to think you just ran into a jerk and that most Kansans woudn't treat you that way. Hope you enjoy your trip otherwise.

Guys I'm not really worried about my fellow Kansans. Just wanted to point it's a jackass problem. They come from all states.

Being military I'm an "out of stater" all over and I hate this resident vs non-resident crap. We're all hunters and as a whole I believe we are the best class of our society.

No matter how angry I was at a man I wouldn’t give the finger to man accompanied by a little girl

That’s pathetic

If you're talking about the Walk-in corners West of Ulysses then you're lucky you didn't get shot at. The guy that lives just West of them is crazy!!! Had a run in with him a few years back.

Guys I'm not really worried about my fellow Kansans. Just wanted to point it's a jackass problem. They come from all states.

Being military I'm an "out of stater" all over and I hate this resident vs non-resident crap. We're all hunters and as a whole I believe we are the best class of our society.

Amen :cheers:

Last year I was sitting in my treestand on the opening morning of pheasant season. It was on some WIHA ground. About 8:00 2 trucks parked on the north end of the section and starting walking straight for me, with no idea I was in my stand. They walked to within 100 yds before they saw me climbing down then turned and walked back yelling at their dogs. They ruined my hunt when all they had to do was to drive around the section before before beginning their hunt. They would have seen my truck and saved both of us a terrible morning. I would have thought they would have seen my truck anyway. That is why I always drive around a section before beginning any hunt. Point being, today was the opening morning of deer season. So we are not sure why you got the finger without hearing both sides of the story. You may have accidentally ruined their hunt or they may have just been a bunch of jerks. Thank you for your service.

Well, at least they saw you and tried to get out of there. If nothing else. Some guys would have just marched on with their dogs.

Just trying to find the positive, I suppose. :)

I think the experience you shared in your post is just another (perhaps reverse of what started this thread) expample what many here on this discussion topic have been expressing and that is it's not where you live that determines doing the right thing, but rather individuals with that disposition exist in every state and aren't just from "big city" either. I don't live in Kansas, but I have lots of friends there and I sure as heck won't let the experience you shared change in any way, shape or form how I feel about the people in the great state of Kansas.

I think the experience you shared in your post is just another (perhaps reverse of what started this thread) example what many here on this discussion topic have been expressing and that is it's not where you live that determines doing the right thing, but rather individuals with that disposition exist in every state and aren't just from "big city" either. I don't live in Kansas, but I have lots of friends there and I sure as heck won't let the experience you shared change in any way, shape or form how I feel about the people in the great state of Kansas.

i just returned from a 5 day trip to Kansas, picked up and limited on empty beer cans next to walk in areas everyday, i fill a trash bag every year....saw more deer than pheasants......birds are really down this year, worst ever. as a NR i treat the land with respect.

i just returned from a 5 day trip to Kansas, picked up and limited on empty beer cans next to walk in areas everyday, i fill a trash bag every year....saw more deer than pheasants......birds are really down this year, worst ever. as a NR i treat the land with respect.

Maybe you're just not finding them. Sometimes its hard to leave an area because you've found birds in it before. But if they aren't there, they aren't there. I've talked to guys that hunt the same land year after year and make an assessment based on that parcel. I know legs and boot leather get the birds but sometimes driving more makes you walk less. And sometimes you just get unlucky. You said SD was tough too. May just be one of those years for ya. And as far as the trash goes, I cant stand it. I pick it up too. I'm not sure on the blame game there. If its beer cans, my thoughts are its more than likely kids. I found this yesterday in a creek bed on a conservation place I was hunting. Has to be the either the farmer, farm hands, or the land managers. In this particular case, there were no crops in the area, so its gotta be whoever sprays it.
View attachment 8847

Last edited:
Maybe you're just not finding them. Sometimes its hard to leave an area because you've found birds in it before. But if they aren't there, they aren't there. I've talked to guys that hunt the same land year after year and make an assessment based on that parcel. I know legs and boot leather get the birds but sometimes driving more makes you walk less. And sometimes you just get unlucky. You said SD was tough too. May just be one of those years for ya.

Hunted in a 40 mile radius from our base, all directions, central Kansas, some private and public. Hunted new and old haunts.

Maybe you're just not finding them. Sometimes its hard to leave an area because you've found birds in it before. But if they aren't there, they aren't there. I've talked to guys that hunt the same land year after year and make an assessment based on that parcel. I know legs and boot leather get the birds but sometimes driving more makes you walk less. And sometimes you just get unlucky. You said SD was tough too. May just be one of those years for ya.

Bird numbers are really down quite a bit. We knew they would be with the weather we had. It was not isolated to certain area's. Most of the western half had large amounts of hail and rain at the worst time. No way we were getting a good hatch or survival rate.

No resident hunters ever fall off an ethics wagon LOL. Raising fees for your own greed does nothing to gain people in the outdoors, and the local economy. I used to go to ND every weekend. Friends who grew up there had a family farm in CRP of 1,200 acres. We would go Fri night, hit the pub. Get our birds Sat, have fun Sat night up town, spending money. Eating at the local café along the river for lunch etc. Buy some ammo at the local hardware shop. Get some gas at the local gas shop. Get up Sun morn, get a few birds and go home. Now when we were there we hunted with a few of his local pals too. Let me say, the locals were the outlaws. Shooting anything and everything. Shooting out windows going spot to spot. Shooting birds of prey on and on. Well, sure that day came to a 5 day season, and higher fee. I never spent another dime in that state. I went fishing one week a couple years later. We went to the local shops we visited hunting. All closed up, all out of business. Just sayin...… We can bitch about non residents and fishing here in MN too LOL. But, why? Waste of breath. It's AMERICA people. Your talking about AMERICANS, not foreign invaders. Those same locals and farms the bitched to get that law passed in ND surround our lakes in MN with ND plates too ;) Just drive around Ottertail lake and look at the plates parked at all the cabins. :) People should be promoting outdoors, not trying to alienate.

No resident hunters ever fall off an ethics wagon LOL. Raising fees for your own greed does nothing to gain people in the outdoors, and the local economy. I used to go to ND every weekend. Friends who grew up there had a family farm in CRP of 1,200 acres. We would go Fri night, hit the pub. Get our birds Sat, have fun Sat night up town, spending money. Eating at the local café along the river for lunch etc. Buy some ammo at the local hardware shop. Get some gas at the local gas shop. Get up Sun morn, get a few birds and go home. Now when we were there we hunted with a few of his local pals too. Let me say, the locals were the outlaws. Shooting anything and everything. Shooting out windows going spot to spot. Shooting birds of prey on and on. Well, sure that day came to a 5 day season, and higher fee. I never spent another dime in that state. I went fishing one week a couple years later. We went to the local shops we visited hunting. All closed up, all out of business. Just sayin...… We can bitch about non residents and fishing here in MN too LOL. But, why? Waste of breath. It's AMERICA people. Your talking about AMERICANS, not foreign invaders. Those same locals and farms the bitched to get that law passed in ND surround our lakes in MN with ND plates too ;) Just drive around Ottertail lake and look at the plates parked at all the cabins. :) People should be promoting outdoors, not trying to alienate.

well said..

No resident hunters ever fall off an ethics wagon LOL. Raising fees for your own greed does nothing to gain people in the outdoors, and the local economy. I used to go to ND every weekend. Friends who grew up there had a family farm in CRP of 1,200 acres. We would go Fri night, hit the pub. Get our birds Sat, have fun Sat night up town, spending money. Eating at the local café along the river for lunch etc. Buy some ammo at the local hardware shop. Get some gas at the local gas shop. Get up Sun morn, get a few birds and go home. Now when we were there we hunted with a few of his local pals too. Let me say, the locals were the outlaws. Shooting anything and everything. Shooting out windows going spot to spot. Shooting birds of prey on and on. Well, sure that day came to a 5 day season, and higher fee. I never spent another dime in that state. I went fishing one week a couple years later. We went to the local shops we visited hunting. All closed up, all out of business. Just sayin...… We can bitch about non residents and fishing here in MN too LOL. But, why? Waste of breath. It's AMERICA people. Your talking about AMERICANS, not foreign invaders. Those same locals and farms the bitched to get that law passed in ND surround our lakes in MN with ND plates too Just drive around Ottertail lake and look at the plates parked at all the cabins. People should be promoting outdoors, not trying to alienate.

You raise some good points FCSpringer - our issue in KS is we've simply lost a ton of bird habitat and birds are not as widespread as they once were. State focuses on deer which I've harped on for a long time is and has been a serious mistake. Lots of small towns that used to have motels, gas stations, restaurants, etc have died - some of that due to economic reasons, some I would say is partially due to no hunters (or at least the volume of hunters) - There's a few places I used to go not so long ago that had decent bird populations and plenty of access and they'd have hunter breakfasts etc - Many of those are gone or from what I've heard poorly attended.

As I get my business more successful and buy more of my time I will be a thorn in someones side until some things start to change. I live in the Capital now and can be a pain in the axx when I need to be. Dont know if it will ever work but hey it's worth a shot. Our state has lots of issues so I understand the OP's concerns - we dont have as much access or as much of the upland resource as we used to so it's disheartening when you feel like others pillaged it. Probably just his perspective. Anyways things will not change unless folks start looking at the big picture here --

-- De-emphasize big game/deer hunting
-- ACTUALLY manage our deer herd instead of treating them like dove with virtually unlimited tags and statewide units
-- With deer management actually taking place and restricting times (adding more seasons and limiting who can hunt in what season) it SHOULD theoretically eliminate some of the leasing for deer and cutting off lots of access for upland hunters
-- Work with the ag industry to get incentives passed and educate farmers on incentives they'd have to put in and manage buffers wetlands etc - likely marginal ground anyways they are not truly making much if any money on and could make more with habitat programs and increase their efficiency buy more of their time back
-- Educate farmers on the benefits of having hunters in their communities through increased sales tax revenue, increased local business, possible day hunt fees if they want to go that way etc - it will benefit their communities - and with birds you can simply run WAY more hunters through than big game
-- Whats good for birds is great for deer and lots of other species - birds simply require a more specific habitat recipe/farming practices
-- Govt side - Firstly before any of this can happen we need a governor that can fix our states revenue situation and proceed with economic developement - KS has simply been stagnant for years even during the boom times while the rest of the nation has grown. We haven't had a governor worth a crap in decades - We need one that will pass medical marijuana and recreation marijuana and put the tax dollars to work that we are already losing to colorado, blackmarket and soon to be OK, MO, NE (I think they passed it) and Arkansas.

-- **** Promote Troy (PrairieDrifter) to run the KDWPT :) or at least the head biologist

Anyways - sounds like a 20 year plan eh?

Last edited:
Got home from my Kansas trip last weekend. I conducted myself there just as I would at home. Didnt find many quail but the ones we did find we only took one bird per covey and moved on. Talked with quite a few friendly and helpful locals, spent a bunch of money in local communities and had a great time.

View attachment 8853

Last edited:
Back