Question

walk213

Merry Christmas to everyone. We hunted yesterday. We decided to hunt a bit of private and then focus on some public grounds. The dogs found a five hens and two roosters (runners that flushed wild), in the first public field. That field was managed perfectly for conservation. The private fields only produced two hens that the dogs pinned early in the walk. I think the 60 degree temperature undermined our efforts.

We went to 6 other public fields during our trip. All fields were completely barren. No grass, no cover, no food, no nothing. The only thing that could survive in these fields are worms. If a landowner enrolls their property in the WIA program, are they obligated to do anything to create suitable habitat for small game?

I have often wondered that same question. I have never seen the protocols that CPW uses to enroll land. I know that in some bad drought years the landowners are allowed to emergency hay their CRP fields without repercussions from the Feds, but I don't know about Colorado WIA. Their Corners for Conservation program, started about 5 years ago requires a 5 year commitment from the landowner with a set cover crop mixture.

I've always assumed that often landowners enroll multiple properties. Some are good and the others just get thrown in because "why not". But I could be totally wrong. Makes the wia atlas look better I guess. :)

I've always assumed that often landowners enroll multiple properties. Some are good and the others just get thrown in because "why not". But I could be totally wrong. Makes the wia atlas look better I guess. :)

the story goes, a lot of shit ground is added by G&F for easier access to the good stuff......believe what you will.

We are all grateful that the landowners participate in the program. Perhaps the local PF chapters can help the landowners with habitat restoration? If I put in a 2.5 hour drive to Eastern, CO and only found 1 field that could be hunted, I wouldn''t come back (with the atlas was showing 10 fields).

Hey Walk, how ya doin’ my friend? According to CPW and what I have learned from being a part of PF I can tell you that properties are scouted and enrolled by CPW for a variety of different reason. As stated in a previous post some are enrolled access to adjoining properties while others are enrolled to allow hunting of other species including rabbit, deer, antelope etc. I know it’s frustrating to pull up to a property ready to harvest some roosters only to find worms. Don’t give up hope my friend and keep scouting for new hunting properties, you never know what you’ll find. By the way, the South Metro PF chapter has been working hard at getting more Corners for Conservation enrolled in the WIA program and it has been paying off. Give me a call buddy and let’s get out there!

Back