Pups first birds!

c_d

What a day! Sorry for being long winded, but I'm as happy as can be. I've been working with my springer pup for a bit now, but pretty much only in the house, and a little bit of 'yard' work, even though we don't have a backyard (we live in a condo). So anyway, she just hit 9 months old a week or so ago, and I knew it was time to step it up. My local bird club is owned by a fella who trains dogs, and he was telling me to come out for an evaluation and figure out a training plan.

Up until today, she had only chased some local pigeons in the neighborhood (we're in an urban area) and sniffed a couple dead birds I brought home from a hunt. Well, he let her chase some homing pigeons, fired off a blank pistol, then we got right to it. Within a half hour she had flushed 2 chukar and had them both shot over her with a 410. A bit sloppy on the first retrieve (she wanted to roll around on the bird), but the second was as solid as I could have hoped for once she got it picked up. Living near a train station and daily walks near the train helped prevent any chance of gunshyness I suppose.

We have one happy birdy as can be puppy, and an over the moon owner. :) Now I can only count the days of training until season opener.... tick tock tick tock...

Bird Team Locked and Loaded!

What a day! Sorry for being long winded, but I'm as happy as can be. I've been working with my springer pup for a bit now, but pretty much only in the house, and a little bit of 'yard' work, even though we don't have a backyard (we live in a condo). So anyway, she just hit 9 months old a week or so ago, and I knew it was time to step it up. My local bird club is owned by a fella who trains dogs, and he was telling me to come out for an evaluation and figure out a training plan.

Up until today, she had only chased some local pigeons in the neighborhood (we're in an urban area) and sniffed a couple dead birds I brought home from a hunt. Well, he let her chase some homing pigeons, fired off a blank pistol, then we got right to it. Within a half hour she had flushed 2 chukar and had them both shot over her with a 410. A bit sloppy on the first retrieve (she wanted to roll around on the bird), but the second was as solid as I could have hoped for once she got it picked up. Living near a train station and daily walks near the train helped prevent any chance of gunshyness I suppose.

We have one happy birdy as can be puppy, and an over the moon owner. :) Now I can only count the days of training until season opener.... tick tock tick tock...

You and pup are ready for the upcoming season. Lock and load!

Thanks all. I'm really excited. She's my first birddog, and it feels like we've crossed such a milestone, but I know there's still lots to do.

Back