Pudelpointer buyers beware

Uncle Buck

Due to supply nowhere meeting the demand for Pudelpointer pups, be sure you purchase from a reputable breeder who has tested his dogs with NAVHDA, and xrayed the hips prior to breeding. There are at least two new breeders who are essentailly puppy mills, breeding any female to any male. The gene pool is limited on this breed and greed has sent in.
Just because they have registered their kennel with NAVHDA does not
mean they are breeding quality pups.

thanks for the heads up....i always check references and prefer to buy from a guy who has 5-10 years in the breed......:thumbsup:

Uncle Buck, Maybe you can offer some resources that people can use to check on the reputation of breeders.

With our breed you have the KLM-GNA group and the SMCNA. There is only one breeder that I know of and would recommend that chooses the breed strictly through NAVHDA.

I did not mention NAPPA---North America Pudelpointer Alliance. They are the best source. There are some qualified others, just do your due diligence and get the records of the parents. If you know how to sift through the NAVHDA records, you can verify what you are being told re the parents by the breeder. You can also check with me as I have been involved with the breed for 28 years. I do have a detractor or two myself as there is always politics in the dog business.
Right now, if you just start looking, you are going to find it very difficult to get one, except from the breeders I referred to in by first post.

You should have started about a year ago. :(
All breeders I know have lists going out at least a year. I stopped my list at about twenty qualified prospects. I do not sell pups, I place them after two--three phone conversations.
Having said all this, people get on multiple lists, or sometimes find another breed. I will give you the best tip I know of---go visit a breeder and look at the dogs. Shows your level of interest. Talk up NAVHDA if you are a member or want to be. Do some research so the breeder does not have to tell you it is not pronounced puddle pointer, but poodlepointer. PUDEL is just the German spelling of poodle. The both mean a puddle of water ie water dogs.

Uncle Buck,
What about importing. Is there someone in your club who is well verses in importing. seems you all are in the same boat we are, we need people willing to import to keep us from painting us into a corner.

there is some importing going on now....and for awhile, not always the answer, everything is relative, need good references and hunting with some off spring.

Thanks Buck,

I contacted a few breeders (including you) a good while back, but now that some pieces have fallen into place I know that a year from now is the time. Really it has to be the time...I don't think I can wait any longer. I'll start making phone calls this week and see where different breeders are on wait lists.

Hopefully being a non-dog owning NAVHDA member will help. In all honesty I've learned a ton volunteering and helping out.

I help train with some haydevil, hardtrigger and rock creek dogs so hopefully I can have them put a word in for me.

I'd like to stick with a NAPPA dog as I like what they are doing, and how they do it. But it is what it is, and if the wait is too long I suppose I'll look at some other breeds. That's the nice thing about the versatiles, they really are more alike than different.

On a side note, I sure do like the looks of MStads SMs, but now that they are world famous I'm pretty sure I have to call a big time, hollywood agent just to get on a list :nutz:

I currently have 5 PP. Three have import parents, the other two grandparents. Pine Ridge imports a lot of stock. I and many others will breed to specific, well tested, Pine Ridge stock. I have seen some, but not a great deal of importation by NAPPA members lately as a flurry a few years ago has beefed up the gene pool.

North American Pudelpointer Alliance (NAPPA) was created to protect and improve the quality of the Pudelpointer as a versatile breed in North America. NAPPA breeders require the stud dog to have a Utility Title (Prize 1, 2 or 3), and the female a minimum score of 105 points in Natural Ability (when NAVHDA tested), to qualify for breeding. Both parents must be certified free of hip dysplasia, free of any temperament disorders, and genetic defects.

Please only consider a Pudelpointer pup from a breeder (NAPPA member or not) that meets or exceeds these minimum breeding standards, to protect and improve the Pudelpointer breed.
GO PUDELPOINTERS

I currently have 5 PP. Three have import parents, the other two grandparents. Pine Ridge imports a lot of stock. I and many others will breed to specific, well tested, Pine Ridge stock. I have seen some, but not a great deal of importation by NAPPA members lately as a flurry a few years ago has beefed up the gene pool.

Old thread, but I had to try. Any feedback on Pine Ridge puppies as of late? I know they aren't with the NAPPA. Thanks.

On a side note, I sure do like the looks of MStads SMs, but now that they are world famous I'm pretty sure I have to call a big time, hollywood agent just to get on a list :nutz:

Nope, you just have to know the right people!

I currently have 3 solid males available to the right hunting homes only. These pups are a result of a frozen AL from German seman from over seas. I had my doubts the AI would take. Low and behold, I got 12!!!

Anyway, not to get off topic. Sorry. :-(

HA HA HA, no, no hollywood agents. I just look for good honest hard working people willling to put the time in. I am ALWAYS around for my puppy people. They can call day or night. I want the pup and owner to make each other happy, so if it takes some of my time.....im all in!

Back