Potty training

I will remodel the ranch headquarters or build a small cabin there and buy a vacation home in KC. The Ponderosa is a world away from Dodge, shoot, it is a world away from everything. It is changing some though. I used to be able to go weeks without seeing another human, except maybe the mailman, but now with all the oil and gas activity it is tougher. Some say I am anti-social, I say that I am shy. Just know I really enjoy spending time in the hills.

Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I saw anyone, just me roaming the snow covered hills.

Whoa, I just hijacked a potty training thread.

Lol. Wish I didnt have to interact with anyone for long periods of time. I would love it.

It seems like you may have skipped the house breaking process. QUOTE]

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT THE FIRST ANIMAL WE'VE HOUSE TRAINED. IT IS THE FIRST ONE WE'VE HAD THIS MUCH TROUBLE WITH.

We started w/ the house breaking process immediately. We may have done something wrong in the process, but that comment really gets under my skin. We've spent loads of time trying to correct this problem. It's not like we brought this dog in from a pen and expected him to know exactly what to do w/o any work on our part. He did pretty well for awhile then started having problems. The praise apparently wasn't enough for him.

Stern, if anything I've been too stern w/ him.

So, if anyone can offer advice that doesn't imply that we've given little or no effort, please share it. Discipline.....I knew that w/o anyone having to tell me. We've had many dogs. THIS IS THE FIRST ONE WE HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH FOR THIS LONG.

After reading the post about more crate time, my wife and I remembered that we'd done this w/ our last dog and her training went faster than any of the others'. We're using the crate suggestion and we'll see how it works. Again, thanks to those of you that are trying to help.

Please don't turn this board into the kind of board that people are afraid to post to. I was asking for advice, not criticism.

Whoa dude, I wasnt trying to be slanderous in any way. I was saying it "seems" that way. And then I offered opinion on what worked for me. My bad for getting under your skin, by no means was I trying to get someone fired up about potty training a dog.

Dcup,

Thanks for sharing what had worked for you. My initial reaction to your post was something to the effect of "We treat this animal like we've treated the ones that came before him, how could this guy suggest I skipped the potty training process?" I see know how you may have assumed that, but we spent 4 1/2 months using our potty training process and admittedly, it wasn't working. That's what prompted my request for others' ideas.

I've taken everyone's advice and put a form of it into action. So far, it is working very well. Once someone mentioned the crate process, I remembered immediately that the last dog we house trained was trained when we were both working. She had a lot of kennel time and very little time to simply roam about or play when she was let out.

We stay away from using the crate as punishment, but there is a way to use the crate as a tool to help correct the behavior, w/o conveying to the dog that it is a form of punishment. That's what we're working on.

Thanks to everyone, including you, for the tips!

Last edited:
I dont do anything other than create a habit,
When the dog wakes up..... Outside Then REWARD the behavior.
After the dog eats..... Outside then reward the behavior.
Before we go to sleep.... Outside then reward the behavior.
then put in crate wake up and repeat.
If the dog has a accident, i just pick them up and put them outside.
After 3 months hardly ever have a problem.

To many take the negitive approach to training. JMO

Last edited:
Once someone mentioned the crate process, I remembered immediately that the last dog we house trained was trained when we were both working. She had a lot of kennel time and very little time to simply roam about or play when she was let out.

kansasbrittany,

I think I was the first to suggest the crate because we went through the same thing a year ago. Now seeing that it's working for you just makes it all the more obvious that too much free run was also the cause of our problem.

Glad it's working for you.

Dakotazeb

kansasbrittany,

I think I was the first to suggest the crate because we went through the same thing a year ago. Now seeing that it's working for you just makes it all the more obvious that too much free run was also the cause of our problem.

Glad it's working for you.

Dakotazeb

I thought I should give an update to this thread. We've used the crate techniques outlined by some of our very helpful members and it has worked very well for us. We've had very few accidents since. The only times we've had accidents in the house is when it was cold outside. Apparently he doesn't appreciate the cold breeze on his boy parts??? Either way, no more potty training problems. Now if I could just get the big bastard to stop taking food off the counters....he's such an opportunist.

I have a pup that knows he is to go outside, heads to the door, but dribbles on his way and then pees at the door.

Mine was doing the same thing for awhile. He's not assertive enough to get his point across sometimes and stil dribbles occasionally, though it is happening less often all the time. Best of luck to you!

me too!

here's what I have done so far and my pup is a year old! I have him in a wire crate only 1 foot wide of space I give him.He can lay done and stand up. he can barely turn around but I did see he can. I let him out to go to the bathroom when I can and give him a treat ONLY when he goes pee or poop or both outside. Water is stopped by 7:00 PM.
It will be 3 weeks tomorrow and he has only peed in the kennel once (my fault I over slept ed). He poops a small turd or 2 only at night. He has gone through the night only 3 times without pooping. He is learning I can tell. I will try to give him some room in a week.
I had a vet tell me there are "dirty dogs" he calls them and they will never stop. I am on a mission to break him. He is fully trained and very good pointer and retriever for his age or he would be in the grove under a tree!
I tried rubbing his nose in it but to no avail.
I do run kennels and that is where I want him but I do not want him peeing and pooping in them.
I will post my results and I hope you will too!

Back