Possible New gun

I May have the opportunity to pick up a new (to me) double barrel side by side shotgun. It's very pretty. I like it a lot. However, the only thing keeping me from pulling the proverbial trigger is that it's a 10 gauge. Is that overkill as far as pheasant hunting is concerned? I'm a large person so recoil is not a problem for me. I just worry about the quality of the meat when I turn the dead bird into food...

I May have the opportunity to pick up a new (to me) double barrel side by side shotgun. It's very pretty. I like it a lot. However, the only thing keeping me from pulling the proverbial trigger is that it's a 10 gauge. Is that overkill as far as pheasant hunting is concerned? I'm a large person so recoil is not a problem for me. I just worry about the quality of the meat when I turn the dead bird into food...

YES! There is no need for a 10 gauge for pheasants. Generally 10 ga. SxS's will weight in the 10 lb. range. That's too much to tote in the field regardless of how big and strong you are. And another reason is the cost of ammmo.

What kind of 10 ga is it?

Yes a 10 gauge is overkill for pheasants. If you like the gun there is no law against using it for pheasant anywhere that I know of.

I guess you could reload for it. No reason a guy couldn't shoot 1 1/8oz loads out of a 10 gauge. It would sure be strange but it could be done.

I heard about an old Quail hunter in my area that carried a Spanish SxS with 3" chambers choked cylinder, cylinder. He hand-loaded 1.75oz 8's for that gun. He was known to get more than 1 quail at a time quite regularly.

What kind of 10 ga is it?

Yes a 10 gauge is overkill for pheasants. If you like the gun there is no law against using it for pheasant anywhere that I know of.

I guess you could reload for it. No reason a guy couldn't shoot 1 1/8oz loads out of a 10 gauge. It would sure be strange but it could be done.

I heard about an old Quail hunter in my area that carried a Spanish SxS with 3" chambers choked cylinder, cylinder. He hand-loaded 1.75oz 8's for that gun. He was known to get more than 1 quail at a time quite regularly.

not to hijack this topic but the last input reminded me of an article Jim Carmichael wrote in Outdoor Life yrs ago. Out of curiosity he hand loaded 10ga shells with 2oz of #8 shot. Took it on a dove shoot and said the first several yards you could physically see the shot cloud go down-range, even let him "guesstimate" if the pattern and the dove would collide... :)

Two questions:

1. How much does this 10 gauge side x side weigh?

2. How much will it weigh at the end of a day of pheasant hunting?

Probably not my choice and you can decide on your own after a few trips with it. There are so many other and better choices out there for an Upland gun! I am a big guy and I like sub gauge guns..When I do use my 12, it reminds me why I like the smaller bore guns.. Good luck on whatever your choice you choose!!:cheers:

Oh, I'm not considering making it my primary. I'm quite pleased with my Franchi Affinity. Well, at least until I get my master electrician license, and my wife gets me the benelli 828u...

Back