Please Sign

hunter94

http://crpworks.org/

The Conservation Reserve Program helps America’s farmers, ranchers, and forest owners to voluntarily conserve environmentally sensitive land. Introduced in the 1985 Farm Bill, CRP once supported 37 million acres devoted to conserving soil, water, and wildlife habitat. But Congress reduced the size of the program to just 24 million acres in the 2014 Farm Bill, causing the U.S. Department of Agriculture to turn down thousands of CRP applications from those who want to enroll millions of acres of private land in conservation. Habitat loss continues to be one of the greatest threats to hunting and fishing in this country, so this loss of CRP lands could pose a terrible risk for upland birds, waterfowl, deer, sage grouse, and freshwater fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am hearing about the new farm bill is that they might increase CRP to 29 million acres with a payment of 80% of local rent. I am sure that it is not settled yet but that is the rumor. That won't buy many acres in my opinion.

Signed. 29 million acres seems like a random number, granted it would mean a 5 million acre increase. Would like to see at least a 10 million acre increase.

There are a lot of people that would like to see another 10 million acres. 5 million is a 20% increase but they may reduce the payment by 20% so they really are not spending much more. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Back