Pheasant Season Opening Weeks Away

NewmanCA

I spoke to our local state refuge manager and he said conditions again were excellent this year and they are pleased with the pheasant numbers they are seeing. Not sure about the refuge by my house. Half of it was flooded all spring and early summer. Going to check it out this weekend. Give my new dog some exercise.

A friend got drawn for the Fleming Unit at Honey Lake refuge for the waterfowl opener and made the drive up there to see if there were any ducks. Didn't see or hear a single duck but did see several pheasants. In years past when I had good intel from DFG friends who I hunted with we'd go to the wildlife area that had the most birds. That was usually Gray Lodge or Little Dry Creek in those days but one year it was Grizzly Island and another it was Honey Lake. It's been so bad for so long I don't know if the guys I know even do Brood counts on Gray Lodge anymore. Maybe there is a cycle and it's starting an upturn? Fingers crossed.
Oh, and my friend didn't go because of what he saw. 20 guys shot a 5+ bird ave. there on the opener with mallards and teal being the main bird. That'll teach him.:D

A friend got drawn for the Fleming Unit at Honey Lake refuge for the waterfowl opener and made the drive up there to see if there were any ducks. Didn't see or hear a single duck but did see several pheasants. In years past when I had good intel from DFG friends who I hunted with we'd go to the wildlife area that had the most birds. That was usually Gray Lodge or Little Dry Creek in those days but one year it was Grizzly Island and another it was Honey Lake. It's been so bad for so long I don't know if the guys I know even do Brood counts on Gray Lodge anymore. Maybe there is a cycle and it's starting an upturn? Fingers crossed.
Oh, and my friend didn't go because of what he saw. 20 guys shot a 5+ bird ave. there on the opener with mallards and teal being the main bird. That'll teach him.:D

One of the guys I have coffee with most mornings is the President of a local duck club. He said there have been an unusually large number of ducks this fall in our area. Not sure why but I guess it could be due to the weather. Pheasants did take a beating during the drought. As we know, moisture is very important to brood rearing and chick survival. Pheasants outside the refuge are still pretty scarce. There are a scattered few around the duck clubs

Back