Pheasant preserve recommendation

Ranger6

I am new to Wisconsin and would like to get my dog on some birds. Any recommendations for a Pheasant hunting preserve within an hour of Madison?

Thanks
Tom

Wild Wings in Campbellsport is reasonable. Little under two hours from Windsor. I used to shoot league there when I lived in Kewaskum. Still not the cheapest. http://www.wildwingssportsmansclub.com/hunting.html
There was a place I went south of Madison in Orfordville. I can't remember the name but I had a good experience and remember it being fair priced.

State Park: Governor Dodge.

Fair experience, Oasis Game Farm near New Glarus. Ken's English Springer Spaniel trails were held there this year. $15 a bird, 2 minimum, but no facilities...just put and take.

You can hunt a bunch public areas where the DNR releases pheasants near where you live. Here is a link to the grounds where pheasants are released. My recommendation would be to walk a ways from the parking areas there are plenty of birds to be had. Weekdays are better than weekends. You need a small game license and pheasant stamp which you can buy online. 2 pheasant limit per day.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/pheasantmap.html

A nice game farm where you can do day hunts is Dark Acres near Fort Atkinson. They have great cover and a decent clubhouse.

Wild Wings in Campbellsport is reasonable. Little under two hours from Windsor. I used to shoot league there when I lived in Kewaskum. Still not the cheapest. http://www.wildwingssportsmansclub.com/hunting.html
There was a place I went south of Madison in Orfordville. I can't remember the name but I had a good experience and remember it being fair priced.

The place in Orfordville is Blonhaven and is very reasonable and has lots of scratch birds. I thought that may be more than an hours drive.

The place in Orfordville is Blonhaven and is very reasonable and has lots of scratch birds. I thought that may be more than an hours drive.

That is it!!. It is about 45 min to Orfordville from downtown Madison. Thanks for the assist.

Preserve

Oasis has nice property. New Glarus is a neat little town. They are framing a small clubhouse now and it should be done by the time the cold weather sets in. Nice small mom and pop operation. $16 a bird, two bird min. I've been there a number of times. I took my ten year old grandson there last week and put out three. 45 minutes later he missed all three; wallet lightened up pretty quick. Worth every penny to see him behind my pointer for his first ever behind a dog hunt with a gun I bought him. All three right up in his face. We shoot clays every week, so he's got quite a few rounds under his belt, but the real birds don't behave quite as well as the clay ones. Blonhaven is good. They have a nice little clubhouse. Eat at Green Forest Family Restaurant in Evansville on the way down. They have a great breakfast. Milford is members only. I've been there a few times on someone else's dime. I could never afford to belong. Very cool club house and restaurant. If you don't hunt just stop in sometime and eat fish or sit at the bar, or both. Very upscale place.

Thanks for the help

Appreciate the help. Hope to get out this weekend. I have tried the pheasant release sites around Waunakee but they are really hit hard hopefully I can find some birds this week.

Thanks
Tom

Hunting

I hit Zorn Creek, Goose Lake, and the Zeloski Unit south of Lake Mills all within the last week. The dog got me one bird in Lake Mills, but nothing at the others. They really get hit hard on the weekends. All are beautiful properties, but the one big problem is they aren't in South Dakota. Good to get the dog out though. I try to visit a preserve a few times before I go out west, just to tune the dog up, but too expensive as a weekly habit. All those public places are pretty close to you. If you can go on Friday's you might have a better chance. I think they like to release some for the weekenders. Hope you try out Oasis and let us know what you think.

Oasis

Hunting Oasis hunting preserve on Sunday. Good expierience, great dog work, birds flew like wild birds (in the past I have had problems with dog catching them) put out 4 birds found six so it was a good hunt. Dog did four blind retrieves one 300 yards on a wing tipped bird. Cover was excellent. I would recommend it.

Tom

Oasis

Glad you had a good hunt. The clubhouse will be a nice added feature. We usually eat at Culvers after a hunt so the dog can get a butterburger, but on mainstreet there are several good places for lunch. They also have the New Glarus beer garden and brewery you should check out. One of the restaurants down town boasts the largest urinal in the world. I've used it, and it was impressive. Can't say for sure about being biggest in the world. New Glarus is a nice little town worth checking out. It's very Swiss oriented, and I'm Norwegian, but they don't seem to care as long as my money is green. Glad you went.

Back