Pheasant Numbers

Was in west beaver and east texas counties on private land from dec 1st to the 4th and pheasant numbers were excellent and quail even better. Not any public land in the area we hunt but is some east of there. Have been hunting same area since 2007 and always good for pheasant but quail are much much better. Moisture is the one factor that affects the bird numbers and last two years have been excellent. Was dry and dusty first days had a little rain last day and dogs worked much better. Plan on hopefully going back in Jan.

Was in west beaver and east texas counties on private land from dec 1st to the 4th and pheasant numbers were excellent and quail even better. Not any public land in the area we hunt but is some east of there. Have been hunting same area since 2007 and always good for pheasant but quail are much much better. Moisture is the one factor that affects the bird numbers and last two years have been excellent. Was dry and dusty first days had a little rain last day and dogs worked much better. Plan on hopefully going back in Jan.

I wish I could find some private land! I hate when I see orange vests all over the field on public land. :mad:

Went opening day with the new pup in Grant County and got a limit. Pup did awesome for his first pheasant hunt. Pointed one and ran down another cripple. Went yesterday and ended with one. If we could get some moisture it would sure help all around.

Great video Nick, thanks for posting. Its a good thing that nearly 100 years ago somebody in Oklahoma had the visionary foresight to release pen raised ringneck pheasants, or we would not have seen the wonderful family hunting story.

BTW, offsprings of those early Oklahoma pen raised pheasants helped population parts of the Texas Panhandle close to the Oklahoma border. The people on the Texas side did not notice the wild pheasants until the middle 1930's. The pheasants were first released in Oklahoma around 1910. That just shows you how long it takes wild pheasants to build up critical mass. All of the dumb pheasants were eaten by predators within the first six months, the bird with the right stuff lived long enough to reproduce. If it made sense 100 years ago to release pen raise pheasant to start a wild reproducing population, it still make sense today to release wilder strains of pen raised to expand the wild population.

On the video people report seeing pheasants all over, way outside of the traditional range. I get report of pheasants all over Oklahoma all the down to the Red River. Why drive all the way to Kansas.

I really believe that the people in Oklahoma that want to see the wild pheasant range expand southward and eastward should go full blast on stocking wilder strains (Manchurian pheasant or Bianchi pheasant also called the Afghan White-winged pheasant) of pen raised pheasants.

When you leave Dallas driving north on I-35 you drive through miles and miles of potential wild pheasant country before you reach the Kansas border.

Last edited:
Back