Passing of an era

Uplandhunter67

The passing of a bird dog reminds you of your own mortality. It reminds you how short the seasons really are. It reminds you that every day not hunting will be a day lost forever.

It also reminds you of the camaraderie between dog and handler. The great retrieves, the wet and cold days, sharing lunches, the quiet restful periods after a long hunt, a head on your lap looking for nothing more than putting your hand on them.

Owning a bird dog is an honor and a privilege. They devote everything to you. You owe him more than you can repay. All they ask is to be taken afield so they can do what they love the most. Share the passion with your dog and they will live forever in your heart.

So, venture out even when you think bird numbers are low, tough conditions, or questionable weather. Venture out no matter because you owe it to your dog their seasons are short.

My lab Ty has gone ahead to search for birds where the season never ends. It was my privilege to have hunted so many seasons over him.

We all know that time will come but I hate to think about it, I'm very sorry for your loss. That was a well written tribute.

Todd

The best part is those memories we have with our canine partners will forever be etched in our mind. Nothing will ever change that. Each dog will have a special memory that is unique to him or her.

Sorry for your loss.

having been though this several times in my life I am always amazed at how we always remember the good times and somehow forget the bad.

There is an incredible bond between bird hunters and their birddogs. Hopefully the great memories can help mitigate the pain of losing them. Let those memories help you with your grieving.

Thank you Gentlemen. Ty graced this forum for many years in our pursuits of upland birds.

I have lost one early to cancer and have a twelve year old that continues to make it to the field with me (she just walked up and asked me if I was ready for tomorrow). I continue to enjoy every second we have left. I can't believe my pup is six and I am looking for a breader for the next. But, I can tell you about all the special abilities and times of each so far and will remember each until I go.

So sorry for your loss.

Uplanderhunter...I fully understand. There's no remedy for the ache in your heart but time; it doesn't lessen, but it becomes more familiar. Gradually, the memories of satisfaction and partnership outweigh the sense of loss, but when we give part of our heart to some partner, it stays given.

Be gentle with yourself.

Back