Over under shotgun

kjs749

I am looking to purchase an over under shotgun. I do not want to spend $2000+. Has anyone tried the Turkish made shotguns? I found a used browning special sporting clays gun that I liked but the stock was pretty beat up. I do like the higher rib that is on the sporting clays gun. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Make sure you go to a gun store and try them for fit before you buy one online or sight unseen. Cost is only part of the consideration, make sure when you mount the gun it fits you right and you are looking right down the topof the vent or rib or barrel. I ought a really nice used Beretta at Cabela's a few years ago for $1,000, best money I ever spent on a shotgun! It is my go to gun day in and day out. Quality guns shoot for a long time.

If you look diligently there are some good buys on used guns. I don't mind a little carry wear on the stock. Last gun I purchased used had an ugly glossy finish of the scratch and dent variety. I stripped it and used BLO. Looks good, nice and light to carry, and fits me like a glove.

You should be able to find nice Browning's or Beretta's for less than $2,000 easy. Buy the best you can afford, you'll be glad in the long run.

From personal experience if you are commited to an O/U, determine which one you want and don't settle based on finances. If the $2000 gun is what you desire you are far better in the long run to be patient and save for the purchase, or find a quality used one at a reasonable price. You will be much happier in the long run rather than "settling" for something half the price.

I do have a Turkish made O/U and shoot it well, but have had to deal with failures that needed warranty repair...twice. The manufacturer did offer excellent customer service. The finish of the gun is good for the money, but firing pin failures overshadowed it quickly. It will always sit in the back of my mind another failure is on the horizon. I enjoy the gun, but am now wishing I had just saved for the $2000 purchase...had I waited another year I would have been one and done.

Good luck in your search!

Good advice so far. Give some thought to it's usage. Will it be a special purpose sporting clays gun or an all purpose upland/waterfowl/target gun? What gauge? How important is weight? A 6 lb O/U is great to carry all day after pheasants but will really rock you with 3 in goose loads. Wood stocks are prettier but composite stocks are better for the bad weather. It sure helps to try before you buy. Some clays venues will host a "Demo Day" in the summer where you can try out a variety of shotguns.

Good luck in your search.
Tom

I'd look for a used Beretta or Browning. It pays to buy quality. You might also look for a used SKB, they are also some very nice quality guns.

This is sound advice and if you have to move away from that tier of guns I believe there is currently no equal to the Winchester 101 in quality to dollars, I had one for awhile, on sale they can be bought new for 1100 dollars. I recommend them and if you get a chance to shoot them first that will put you ahead in the game.

Back