Optimistic or Pessimistic?

shorthairs4life

So I went to buy shells for the upcoming season. I come home with 3 boxes of lead and 1 box of steel. Man, I either plan on seeing a whole lot of birds or I sure do plan on missing a lot.

Maybe I'm hoping I don't have to bum shells at the end of the season, like the last 2 seasons.

Either way I'm excited about the weather for the opening weekend.

Good luck!

Liking the forecast myself. I'll be hunting private land Sunday (work Saturday) and then hit some public land close to home Monday after the warzone dies down out there. Should be plenty of birds left for an inexperienced dog and equally inexperienced hunter.

I plan on waiting until Monday before going out, but I'm awful anxious to get Tinker out for real field work and experience.

Every time I've gone out on opening day, I've come back quickly, and often, having been scared by the thoughtless or reckless behaviors that those guys with shotguns demonstrate.

I wish safe outings and successful hunts...however you define "success"...to everyone.

I plan on waiting until Monday before going out, but I'm awful anxious to get Tinker out for real field work and experience.

Every time I've gone out on opening day, I've come back quickly, and often, having been scared by the thoughtless or reckless behaviors that those guys with shotguns demonstrate.

I wish safe outings and successful hunts...however you define "success"...to everyone.

I'm just as excited about starting this season. This year I get to keep for the season my Dad's 9 year old English Pointer. She's a retired field champion and has never hunted pheasant. I've run her out at Vernon for exercise and she will hit the heaviest cover hard. She definitely lost a step or two but she's about right for foot hunting now.

I don't have a shotgun or a dog, but I'm still itching to get out and walk the fields! I went pheasant hunting for the first time with my father in-law and brother in-law out in SD. Even though I only shot half-a-box of shells last year, I still feel the itch to go pick up another box. :D

Well I hit a rough patch in my shooting. In the last 4 birds my dog pointed, I only bagged 1. Apparently I'll go through those shells just fine at this rate. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Well I hit a rough patch in my shooting. In the last 4 birds my dog pointed, I only bagged 1. Apparently I'll go through those shells just fine at this rate. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Ill make you feel better:D. I finally got out for the first time last weekend. Got skunked:eek:. I was telling Upland (Mike) I can't believe my dog didn't get sprayed. I'm thinking (possibly) the skunk wasn't healthy.:confused:

Between being a taxidermist and family life I think my hunting days are be behind me for a while.

I'm thankful for the up-tick in members posting about their hunting experiences and photos. That helps numb the pain. Thanks guys;)

Nick

Between being a taxidermist and family life I think my hunting days are be behind me for a while.

I'm sorry, Nick, but this was put to a vote at the last super-secret hunting council meeting, held in the dark of night in a place where nobody can ever find us, 'cuz we're so secret, and...

You have to keep squeezing in the time to get out and free your mind as you pursue upland birds.

Council says so. Life goes by too quickly not to get out with a gun and a dog to savor the little bits and pieces of living.

:D

Apparently my shooting is worse than anticipated. I only have 10 shells left from the 4 boxes purchased. Just purchased another box tonight.

Last edited:
Ill make you feel better:D. I finally got out for the first time last weekend. Got skunked:eek:. I was telling Upland (Mike) I can't believe my dog didn't get sprayed. I'm thinking (possibly) the skunk wasn't healthy.:confused:

I'm thankful for the up-tick in members posting about their hunting experiences and photos. That helps numb the pain. Thanks guys;)

Nick

Life's too short, Dude! Get back out there! There's plenty of time after the season for the other stuff. [That was said tongue in cheek]

My sister was married the 15th of Sept [over 20 years ago] and when my dad heard of the date, he reminded her it was the opening of bird hunting, that he and her brothers weren't going to be happy at missing the opener. She replied that the only other date she could get the church and hall was the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Dad said if that was the day, she could count on he not walking her down the isle and her brothers not being in attendance, that it was better to have us not happy and there, instead of her unhappy and us not being there.

There's priorities to set in life. We all make compromises. Some decisions are easier to make then others.

A buddy recently retired. When he was still working, it drove him crazy when people tried planning family stuff on Saturdays during the hunting season. He told people "Don't f^c& with my Saturdays". I asked him how he liked retirement and he said "Every day's a Saturday".

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. There have been times in seasons when I had a hard time hitting the planet's atmosphere with a shotgun.

Had an old friend who put $2 worth of quarters in his left pocket when he had a stretch of bad shooting. He knew it didn't do a thing, but it got to be a superstition with him. Invariably, his shooting gradually improved.:D

Back